General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't break down in Gillette, Wy

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:02 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 336 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by IFR Pilot
Surprised the MotorCo doesn't show any concern here. Even the car companies are smart enough to try to show they 'care' in major forums.
Like I've said before...I love my Harley, I drink the koolaide when it come to t-shirts, leather & gear & what not. But what I've read, seen & and experienced...Corporate just isn't that concerned about customer service.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawgQC
Like I've said before...I love my Harley, I drink the koolaide when it come to t-shirts, leather & gear & what not. But what I've read, seen & and experienced...Corporate just isn't that concerned about customer service.

Not since the new leadership came into play--------just ask the general manager of any dealer about the candy store concept for your answer here

Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

But what I've read, seen & and experienced...Corporate just isn't that concerned about customer service.
When sales are up and times are good, quality and customer service take the back seat and only reverses when sales are down and they remember who keeps them afloat. Same thing applies to the automotive industry. Seen it often in the 40 years i worked for Ford.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

That's why they don't need to be so concerned.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for every rider they lose by poor service they gain a t shirt sale.The dealers are running under the same principal as amway--------there is a constant stream of newbies walking in .ITs their job to get them sold and wait for more newbies.Sell the plan not the product

Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete6114
When sales are up and times are good, quality and customer service take the back seat and only reverses when sales are down and they remember who keeps them afloat. Same thing applies to the automotive industry. Seen it often in the 40 years i worked for Ford.
I remember going into a dealership that some guy started in the 50's, bootleg harley t-shirts that worked and lasted longer than the present day ones. Oily parts on the homemade counter top, ashtrays, beer in a old metal cooler, swearing, talking shop all day without buying anything, helping the mechanic change a tire or clutch basket, sharing a joint for lunch hour, and a sense of belonging, community, and friendship.
The Moco destroyed 80 years of loyal family dealers- ending a buyer-seller culture that you can only find in independent shops today.

The last time I spent any length of time in a dealership I sat in a chair with my greasy pants and jean jacket- and the sales rep nearly had a fit! I think that was around 1983...

Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sling Blade NSAA
I remember going into a dealership that some guy started in the 50's, bootleg harley t-shirts that worked and lasted longer than the present day ones. Oily parts on the homemade counter top, ashtrays, beer in a old metal cooler, swearing, talking shop all day without buying anything, helping the mechanic change a tire or clutch basket, sharing a joint for lunch hour, and a sense of belonging, community, and friendship.
The Moco destroyed 80 years of loyal family dealers- ending a buyer-seller culture that you can only find in independent shops today.

The last time I spent any length of time in a dealership I sat in a chair with my greasy pants and jean jacket- and the sales rep nearly had a fit! I think that was around 1983...

I can sure remember those days. You could go in get a part and and fix your bike in the parking lot. Most of the time one of the mechanics would come out and help for no charge. Now days they **** a brick if you pull out a tool bag and wrench on your bike in the lot. Ranuio's Stockton Harley-Davidson Long since gone.

Last edited by Misbehaven; 08-29-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent '82-85 in Gillette. No Harley dealer there yet. Car dealers there at the time behaved this way. Not as nice a town as much of Wyoming- boom town and strip mine central.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,651 Likes on 764 Posts

Not so funny, but the OP can now claim he 'got shaved' in Gillette.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
Not so funny, but the OP can now claim he 'got shaved' in Gillette.

I'll be that guy....

Quick Reply: Don't break down in Gillette, Wy