General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't break down in Gillette, Wy

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 610 Likes on 279 Posts

Maybe I am in the minority, but I have had VERY few positive experiences with HD dealerships. I avoid them like the plague, if I get genuine HD parts, I always look on the HD website first. If not, then I will RELUCTANTLY patronize a HD dealership. This has always been my mantra:

I always use a Independent Bike Shop, as do most of my friends. Check with your state insurance laws but a lot of states (if I remember) prohibit dealers from voiding warranties because of who they choose to do their routine maintenance. I have a friend, right now, that has a 2013 Ulltra Classic and he has NEVER taken his to the local dealership, and made sure that it would not void the warranty just in case something major happens.

When I go on a long trip I search out local Independent shops just for this very purpose.

When I do have to go to a dealership, I don't drink their coffee, I don't chat it up I get what I HAVE to get and leave. The only time (for the most part anyway) that I have had a positive experience with a dealership is when they thought I was there to buy a new motorcycle.

Crash, I'm sorry that happened to you but we live and we learn. I will always own at least one Harley Davidson, but that doesn't mean that I have to feel obligated to any dealership. If and when the overall attitude of HD dealerships change for the better and they earn my business, maybe then I will develop a relationship with them, until then I'm fine using a local independent shop.

If you (or anyone else listening) breakdown in central Mississippi, let me know and I will personally get you to a local independent shop that will take damn good care of you.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:55 AM
crasha51pan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"If and when the overall attitude of HD dealerships change for the better and they earn my business, maybe then I will develop a relationship with them"

I'm work'n on it, think I will start with Chuck Ruiz & Deluxe HD of Gillette, Casper and Sundance. Honestly, I am just gonna be the biggest pain in the a** as I can to Chuck. Like Nebraska said, the rear flat brought me down, but when I found out there was a HD dealer 30 miles up the road, I thought I had just got lucky ..... I didn't know about Chuck and Deluxe.
I don't carry a phone (I know), I saw no independent dealers, knew nothing of the town of Gillette, the tow truck diver took me to a hotel where he said I could get a break on a room and it was maybe 4 miles from the HD Stealer, it was get'n late Saturday evening when I got to the hotel...it was just bad timing, bad from every angle, and it was clear what Deluxe was doing 2 minutes after I arrived...They were right up front about it, smirk and all !!
I am talking again with HD this morning, still posting "reviews" where I can..

Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Maybe I am in the minority, but I have had VERY few positive experiences with HD dealerships. I avoid them like the plague, if I get genuine HD parts, I always look on the HD website first. If not, then I will RELUCTANTLY patronize a HD dealership. This has always been my mantra:

I always use a Independent Bike Shop, as do most of my friends. Check with your state insurance laws but a lot of states (if I remember) prohibit dealers from voiding warranties because of who they choose to do their routine maintenance. I have a friend, right now, that has a 2013 Ulltra Classic and he has NEVER taken his to the local dealership, and made sure that it would not void the warranty just in case something major happens.

When I go on a long trip I search out local Independent shops just for this very purpose.

When I do have to go to a dealership, I don't drink their coffee, I don't chat it up I get what I HAVE to get and leave. The only time (for the most part anyway) that I have had a positive experience with a dealership is when they thought I was there to buy a new motorcycle.

Crash, I'm sorry that happened to you but we live and we learn. I will always own at least one Harley Davidson, but that doesn't mean that I have to feel obligated to any dealership. If and when the overall attitude of HD dealerships change for the better and they earn my business, maybe then I will develop a relationship with them, until then I'm fine using a local independent shop.

If you (or anyone else listening) breakdown in central Mississippi, let me know and I will personally get you to a local independent shop that will take damn good care of you.

Originally Posted by crasha51pan
I am talking again with HD this morning, still posting "reviews" where I can..
Keep up the good work. You have lots of support here. Nobody likes Lying Stealers!
Keep us up to date and let us know what HD has to say, if anything.

Even though this has nothing to do with this thread, I just want to mention that....I had a $ 800 quote from a dealer here in canada to install mini-apes, plus the handlebars and cables. The quote i got at Rapid HD was 1900 bucks plus tax. (still dont have them) Gauging at its best. Just shop around and don't assume stuff is cheaper at rally's.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM
crasha51pan
Cruiser

Just put the whole ugly story on "Angies List for Gillette, WY"..
Delete that Chuck !

Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM
jdw999
Advanced

I have copied and pasted your response on their FB site. 30 mins and counting it's still there.

Let's see how long before it's deleted and I'm blocked.

JD

Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yelpit as well.

I did the tow gig for a while and I can believe the tow companies that insist on sending their info in to all the companies that offer tow coverage on a harley .They have to have the customer but then they are ill equipped to do it .If you want to see scary watch to untrained high school kids try and load a bagger on a roll back in the rain.Add a bad wrecker experience to a Stealer and it really makes you question why you own a Harley

Old 08-26-2013, 12:36 PM
jdw999
Advanced

I also commented on their last post with a link to this post.

https://www.facebook.com/deluxehd?ref=br_tf

JD

Old 08-26-2013, 12:43 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

called the moco service center this morning...nobody knew anything about any complaints about the dealer in gillette, wyoming...next step up the food chain...once again no one would acknowledge that there had been any complaints about that dealer. was told that my concerns would be passed on to the department that deals with dealer complaints. no offer to let me speak to any one in that department. no acknowledgement that any one at the home office had ever heard of HDForums.com--or cared in the least about my concerns that touring riders were being taken advantage of by crooked dealers. NO NO NO was my response from calling the moco. writing the chamber of commerce in gillette might be a good idea...mention that the harley riders are going to be avoiding the gillette gas stations, restaurants, and motels because of this dealer's actions.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Still there. That's got to be annoying...Having to constantly monitor social networking sites to see if there's a negative post about your business. Must be dozens, maybe hundreds Chuck. You might have to hire someone to go and erase all the bad publicity this one incident caused. And I'm pretty sure when someone searches "Chucks Deluxe" that these threads might show up.

Might be easier just to make it right with the customer. Don't you think Chuck?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you guys are missing the whole candy store concept--------the new el presidente has coached all of them to use the theory you need them worse than they need you(new victim in the door daily) All of your feedback is just irritating he poor girl assigned to monitor the sites.She wont pass it along nor does she care.

Quick Reply: Don't break down in Gillette, Wy