General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't break down in Gillette, Wy

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 PM
crasha51pan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been read'n thru this thread, want to comment on GrumpyBear's post:
This thing wasn't started to hurt the innocent, or show what size ***** ya have. There are always those who are caught in the middle, am sure there are a lot of good people try'n to earn a living at Deluxe HD of Gillette. My point is, Chuck & Calvin are ripping off out of state riders who count on the HD dealerships to help them out and get them back on the road if the need be, We don't want a free-be, we want "fair". Sounds to me that most likely 99.9% of the post here are by riders who ride out of state. We count on HD Corporate to "police" these kind of dealers. You ride through Gillette GrumpyBear, have a clogged fuel filter and pay for a motor rebuild...do what suits ya, most of us won't roll over for that !! It's all about makin' Chuck know that he can't screw the biker like he is doing, and not hear about it. He has 3 dealerships GrumpyBear, how rich do ya want to make him ?
We are a Brotherhood, we look out for each other !!
Dutch

Old 08-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Jack Ryan
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Rent a car and drive to U.haul to rent a trailer. Load up and drive any where you want to get it fixed.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:45 PM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crasha51pan
Been read'n thru this thread, want to comment on GrumpyBear's post:
This thing wasn't started to hurt the innocent, or show what size ***** ya have. There are always those who are caught in the middle, am sure there are a lot of good people try'n to earn a living at Deluxe HD of Gillette. My point is, Chuck & Calvin are ripping off out of state riders who count on the HD dealerships to help them out and get them back on the road if the need be, We don't want a free-be, we want "fair". Sounds to me that most likely 99.9% of the post here are by riders who ride out of state. We count on HD Corporate to "police" these kind of dealers. You ride through Gillette GrumpyBear, have a clogged fuel filter and pay for a motor rebuild...do what suits ya, most of us won't roll over for that !! It's all about makin' Chuck know that he can't screw the biker like he is doing, and not hear about it. He has 3 dealerships GrumpyBear, how rich do ya want to make him ?
We are a Brotherhood, we look out for each other !!
Dutch

Oh don't get me wrong I think what happened was legal robbery. If I am ever up there and I break down I think a truck rental or an independent as others suggested is a great idea. I think calling the dude out in this thread is great. I hope some of the locals that might purchase bikes from this guy read this one first. I like the thread and whats behind it. I like the fact it is allowed to remain here as well. Says something about the site.

What I don't like is what the other guy posted. You don't go taking out your frustrations on the employees. It's a no class child like move.

BTW. I would humbly and respectfully submit something to you and without any offense or implied superiority intended. Brotherhood is an overused word around here and around many parts of the motorcycle community in general. It however has real meaning for some. I will stop and help out another rider always. I will look out for other riders as well. But they are not my Brothers. I am pretty sure that is something you understand.

EDIT: I sure hope your user name is not from experience. Man that would stink to crash a classic.

Last edited by GrumpyBear; 08-25-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:08 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Frazier Harley in Dulth GA did the same thing to me, "tire tread had to match". So I had to buy 2 tires. MUST BE A SCAM........

Last edited by aces&8s; 08-25-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:12 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I only read your original post. There is a sure fire option for you to get some satisfaction:

Write Harley corporate, email, and call.. Better yet, ask this dealer who he answers to regionally. Write, email, and call them.

Tell them about your experience in detail. Tell them how long you have been a Harley customer. And explain to them that you will consider other brands if this type of behavior continues. (Which you will.)

You will get your money back.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 PM
crasha51pan
Cruiser

GrumpyBear
I do know Brotherhood !! and I get your point..
And as I said, this is not aimed at the gal at the counter. This guy is screw'n the biker, probably the out of state bike, and I'm gonna' do what I can. My money is gone, I get that. There is a ton of suggestions of what I "should" have done (stick'n a knife thru the front tire was one), and they are right, all of'em are right. Not going into where my mind set was at the time, now I would do it differently.......The only point here is to put out there what Chuck Ruiz is doing to riders who pass thru and might need some help...That's all !!
Chuck thinks I'm going away, not happening !!! I'm not the only one who has been screwed by Chuck , maybe you should let riders vent ... Someone has to say something !
I have ask him to talk with me 3 times now, seems his policy is different between his dealerships...guess the best he can do is block me .. before you take his, or his employees side on the issue , think of the long rider who gets caught in is web ???
One last thing, I'm not look'n to get into a argument over the term Brother, I am focused on Deluxe HD of Gillette.....but
I have ridden a long time, and I put Brothers into 3 categories:
1. The Biker community: I have ridden early model Pans for 32 years, I have broken down a lot. In the middle of the Mojave Desert I had two gals with a baby in the back seat stop to offer me help...
On the Ortega Hwy, I had a kid on a dirt bike stop to offer me help. Had a old woman let me store my 48 in her garage until the next day...Man, Woman, Kid...
This is the Biker Community and what I call Biker Brothers.
2. There is a Veterans Community.
I run across Vets of every age, every Branch, every War
I call Brother..These are my Brothers too !
3. Then there are my Club Brothers:
Top of the list
My Family
Best of both worlds.....
So ya see, I got 3 levels of the term Brotherhood, guess it's a matter of semantics . (Chuck don't fit in any of'em)
Not to be confusing ....Lets keep this thread about the way Chuck treats the long rider ....You came down hard on a Brother who was only try'n to stick it to Chuck

Last edited by crasha51pan; 08-25-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,869 Likes on 6,498 Posts

TTT for no other reason than to keep the bright, white spotlight on the crooked dealings of a crooked dealer....

Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 PM
nebraskarider1
Novice

Since this very same thing happened to me this comment is for all the posters that have all the answers. By the time I got to the dealership I was in a state of relief since the tow truck driver almost dumped my bike off the roll away. I thought when I was at the dealer I was now in a safe place. The first guy out there tried to sell me a bike, the next guy started pushing on my trunk when I was pulling my bike off the tire chock, gave me a terrible dirty look when I told him not to push there. Then when another guy hopped on the bike and tried to roll it forward to get the valve stem down another guy came over and was gonna help by taking some of the weight off the rear tire by lifting on the luggage rack on the trunk lid. Good grief the latches break easy enough on the trunks without trying to lift the back of the bike up by them! I certainly didn't want to put the bike back on the tow truck, I had no way to change the tire in the parking lot and I'm sure they weren't gonna lend me anything to assist me. It was 6pm and they were officially closed was I gonna push the bike outside their fence and hope I could find an indy and walk to a hotel? If an indy didn't have the tire I am sure if they call the dealer they were gonna say nope we don't have it either its on order? Same if I tried plugging it and it didn't hold. If I left the bike were they gonna charge me storage? If I had to swallow my pride and come back how much was everything gonna go up and how much longer was it gonna take? I was 600 miles from home so renting a truck or trailer and leaving with it or having someone fetch mine from home was cost prohibitive. You can bet your *** they knew all these questions and answers too!! Thats how they pressure you into a hasty decision 10mins after they close all running around like you are holding them up from leaving. I know now they were all waiting to see if I swallowed the hook and signed the service order, bet they all had a good laugh till Dunlop and Harley started calling the next morning! Please don't be too quick to have all the answers unless you have been put on the spot its easy to say you would have done differently. I change each and every one of my own tires (2 a year average) and now buy them from an indy about 100 miles from my home. So this tire buying under pressure "crap" from a dealer was a whole new experience for me in the first place. If there is ever a next time I hope it don't go like this experience did.

Last edited by nebraskarider1; 08-25-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:35 PM
_Daswine_
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too posted several comments on his FB page only to have them deleted. I even went as far as to send the owner a PM on his FB page, it was read and deleted. We need to keep up the pressure so that their practice of raping the traveling biker ceases.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:38 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,151 Likes on 6,704 Posts

Bump.
Mornin' Chuck. No, we aren't finished. You still suck.

Quick Reply: Don't break down in Gillette, Wy