General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't break down in Gillette, Wy

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM
shortmon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think I would have went and rented a truck and drove home with the bike in the back.
that is simply a load of crap.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:49 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have fixed my own flat if it was fixable or bought one new tire. Not the first motorcycle tire I have changed myself. If it needed a tube I would have went that route. If I went the easy route and let them put new tires front and back. The old ones would have been shipped home. I go through tires regularly anyway.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 PM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

After reading your post I'm getting flaming mad too. The dealer raked you over the coals, plain and simple. I would give a call to the owner of the dealer and let them know how the service manager screwed you over and to see if the no mixing tires is really their policy.

At least get your old tires back so you can use the good one on the next tire change.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

You might take the time and write to the state Tourist Burro. Let them know that you have posted this story to the HD forum, copied to Harley Davidson, and will continue to tell anyone that you hear of that is traveling through their state this story. Look at the states web sites and post their also.
PS: copy the town’s mayor, city council and if they have a news paper them also. If they let this happen to you, then anyone traveling through is a risk also.
PSS: Hunting season should be starting soon.

Last edited by Kenney; 08-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rent a truck too. I would have been too pissed to pay them for anything. Probably would be cheaper to boot. Stuff like this just sticks in a persons craw and festers.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:04 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh ohhh. Just saw my post count. YIKES 1

Old 08-22-2013, 01:31 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

See if GilletteyWyomingHarleySucks.com is available. Post their phone number. Tell them to ship your take-offs back to you. Post in the bad dealer experience thread. Got the name of the friendly service manager (Full name)?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:49 PM
crasha51pan
Cruiser

All good points:
I had been on the road or 4000 miles at that point, my only focus was to get home, plus I was so Fk'n mad my brain wasn't work'n right. I was packed down pretty good, ha maybe 600 or 700 miles to go, was running low on funds.
I tried to look up Corporate,but it said "sorry, we are not receiving emails right now", but will keep checkin'.
I have ridden early Pans (51 & 48) for 32 years and never had tires that matched in tread. I had no issue running mismatched treads, they had the issue !!!
If I had a U-Haul dealer right next to that HD Dealer, probably would have rented a truck, but at that time, I didn't know the city, had already lost 2 days, and all wanted to do was get the hell out of Dodge and never look back.
The one thing I didn't mention was, when I thought about a Vet Discount, Calvin was out walk'n around, so I ask another guy behind the counter "ya give Veteran Discounts ?" and he said the owner likes to help Vets, and that gave me some hope, but he didn't know for sure and I should ask Calvin as he was the Service Manager. I did ask, and you know what Calvin's response was....
I guess I will just count on something called "Karma", maybe post this around on any forum that allows it, and try and wipe that "smirk" out of my mind.
By the way, I hate these tires, grooves, tar snakes, they suck !!!!!!

Last edited by crasha51pan; 08-22-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Wyomingrider
Novice

The Gillette store is owned by the same people who own the Casper, WY and Sundance, WY stores. I bought my bike in Casper and have had nothing but trouble from them so don't go there any more. I bought the tires off a brand new Harley that a friend bought from them since he wanted white sidewalls. I called the stealership in Casper and was told they didn't mount any tires unless they were purchased there. I told them they came off a new bike just purchased there and they said, 'so what'? I have also heard the 'we don't repair, we replace' response and do understand it to a degree but with a waiver, what do they care, really? Just another example of an arrogant HD dealer who could care less about customer service. They know when they have you by the short hairs and will take advantage!

Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Sounds like they need to get rid of "Clifford the Big Red Douche".

Quick Reply: Don't break down in Gillette, Wy