General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't break down in Gillette, Wy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MattCo
Go to Yelp.com and leave a review. They don't have control over that system and reviews are not deleted.
Actually, yelp is an extortion scam now. They started awesome, but its well documented that they call small businesses and for about $500, will sell a "package" that moves good reviews up and bad reviews down, essentially negating the bad reviews.

Its been widely discussed.

However: This isn't a reason not to put a review on yelp, just understand that yelp's business model involves coersion and more or less extortion of small businesses. They are dirty.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

A few years back, I was riding on brand new Metzlers when i ran over a hunk of iron (like a bolt). the tire was toast. I was towed to the dealer (Bud's) in Evansville, IN at 5 minutes til closing time. The service guy listened to my tale of being on the road with a flat and got on the intercom and asked his crew "Anybody willing to stay and get this guy back on the road?"
They replaced the ruined tire with a Dunlop and no mention of mixed brands. They just did me a solid afterhours when they did not have to. I appreciate that kind of effort.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (12-01-2023)
Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 PM
AK47
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shitty deal. Thanks for the heads up about gillette. The boys at grizzley have allways helped me out nice and proper!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:41 AM
MattCo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Actually, yelp is an extortion scam now. They started awesome, but its well documented that they call small businesses and for about $500, will sell a "package" that moves good reviews up and bad reviews down, essentially negating the bad reviews.

Its been widely discussed.

However: This isn't a reason not to put a review on yelp, just understand that yelp's business model involves coersion and more or less extortion of small businesses. They are dirty.
Yes, they basically re-organize the reviews but they don't delete them. Also, the dealership had only 2 the last time I checked and both were terrible. Even so, if we get them to pay $500 to yelp, that's and expense that we generate and "make them pay" for the horrible service they provide.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 AM
LippCJ7
Cruiser

Sounds like a crap deal to me as well, I sure hope things work out for you, thank you for the info I will steer clear of this business.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:10 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by crasha51pan
Guess my only hope is that the friendly Service Manager Calvin someday finds himself in the same situation, broke down and out of state, and a friendly dealer bends him over and rapes him like he did me on that occasion "with a smirk" !!!!!!!!!

Done vent'n...............
******** like that don't ride so it will probably never happen

Old 08-24-2013, 01:27 AM
Rampant
Tourer

This is why I always use credit cards to pay for stuff - especially american express. I have a backup card for just this purpose. I document all the BS and handle it and then reverse charges on the whole thing.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:41 AM
Rampant
Tourer

Originally Posted by KYBill
He agreed to purchase a product and received what he paid for. Granted the service manager is a douchebag but unless they mounted defective tires disputing the charge is no different than writing a bad check. No reason to sink to their level.
Um, no. they abused his situation. There is EVERY reason to reverse charges. Not reversing charges REWARDS them for douchebaggery. If everyone they ****ed over or didn't deal honestly with reversed charges they would quickly find themselves being banned by credit card companies, etc. They would lose a ton of money and the service guy who tried this **** would get fired ASAP.

This is what SHOULD happen.b

Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Rampant
Um, no. they abused his situation. There is EVERY reason to reverse charges. Not reversing charges REWARDS them for douchebaggery...
Um, no... I've been thru the "reverse the charges" drill before, more than once. I'm NOT taking the dealer's side here, just looking at the facts. In this situation, regardless of how crappy the OP was treated, he agreed to the transaction and got what he paid for. As others have noted, he could have refused the "service" and hauled his bike away.

By all means, call the CC company and look into reversing the charges -- but I wouldn't bet on success.

And thanks to the OP for alerting all of us to this dealer. The closest I've been to Gillette so far is Sundance (while at Stugis), but will certainly be returning to that area.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by walkerinin
A few years back, I was riding on brand new Metzlers when i ran over a hunk of iron (like a bolt). the tire was toast. I was towed to the dealer (Bud's) in Evansville, IN at 5 minutes til closing time. The service guy listened to my tale of being on the road with a flat and got on the intercom and asked his crew "Anybody willing to stay and get this guy back on the road?"
They replaced the ruined tire with a Dunlop and no mention of mixed brands. They just did me a solid afterhours when they did not have to. I appreciate that kind of effort.
There you have it......some dealers shine, like that one, and others just plain suck, cannot be trusted and should be avoided.

Originally Posted by Rampant
Um, no. they abused his situation. There is EVERY reason to reverse charges. Not reversing charges REWARDS them for douchebaggery. If everyone they ****ed over or didn't deal honestly with reversed charges they would quickly find themselves being banned by credit card companies, etc. They would lose a ton of money and the service guy who tried this **** would get fired ASAP.

This is what SHOULD happen.b

Quick Reply: Don't break down in Gillette, Wy