General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I The Only One Concerened With The...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013 | 12:10 PM
twistr
|
Road Warrior
Default Am I The Only One Concerened With The...

Cellphone feature on the 2014 touring models...Geez...Bad enough we have to dodge cagers talking and texting, now we have to watch out for the idiots riding their motorcycles and talking on their phone too...THANKS HD...GREAT JOB!!!

Last edited by twistr; 08-21-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2013 | 12:11 PM
acunn1
Road Captain

Some of us like to see if we get a call from the wife while we are riding, and not have to worry about the phone falling out of an after market holder.

Old 08-21-2013 | 12:23 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Considering that a lot of guys with baggers already have a cell phone mounted to the bars I can only see how this would help matters rather than cause more.

I don't know this for sure but I imagine you would need to be connected to a boom mic to talk while riding.

Old 08-21-2013 | 12:31 PM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain

Is it an "option"? I'm thinking it's usage would be up to the individual and current laws regarding phones and texting as it is with any cell.

Old 08-21-2013 | 12:39 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Some people would have nothing to talk about if they didn't bitch

Old 08-21-2013 | 12:41 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior

The phone caddy that was stuck by a magnet to the tank was perpetually out of stock at Harley dealers. A lot of us have Bluetooth helmets for hands off reception for phone calls.

The upgrading of the radio/bluetooth/mp3 etc on the Harley touring bikes was long over due.

Old 08-21-2013 | 12:43 PM
RoadLord
Banned

Cell phone stays in the right side glove box on my Roadie, I do however, plug it into the charger and the input jack on the head unit so I can jam while I ride, but if it rings I just let it ring through, no reason to be talkin on the phone and riding I have enough on my plate with all the bells, whistles and buttons on this damn thing as is! :-)

Old 08-21-2013 | 12:46 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by RoadLord
Cell phone stays in the right side glove box on my Roadie, I do however, plug it into the charger and the input jack on the head unit so I can jam while I ride, but if it rings I just let it ring through, no reason to be talkin on the phone and riding I have enough on my plate with all the bells, whistles and buttons on this damn thing as is! :-)
I agree ... And, after all, my cell phone still folds open and has an antenna you pull out ... Hey, does that qualify me ( and my communication device ) as Old School ???

Old 08-21-2013 | 12:50 PM
RoadLord
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I agree ... And, after all, my cell phone still folds open and has an antenna you pull out ... Hey, does that qualify me ( and my communication device ) as Old School ???
Larry you're so 1998!

Old 08-21-2013 | 12:51 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain

Cell phone, touch screen, radio are features that if used appropriately will not cause problems. Personally, when I ride my attention is on traffic and bike control. In my mind appropriately would mean using any of the above should be done while stopped, save for listening to the radio.
AAA Study (pdf) here concludes that using hands-free cell phone are over twice, and using speech-to-text are over three times as distracted as a driver (rider?) alone and not distracted.

Quick Reply: Am I The Only One Concerened With The...