General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I The Only One Concerened With The...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013 | 01:59 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member

Scala Cardo unit you never touch the phone .Just talk and drive. I only use it when traveling like a CB. HD should have had a blue tooth radio years ago. $1ooo garman was the only option then.

Old 08-21-2013 | 03:02 PM
ericedelman
Intermediate

This is not new, Harley produced a bluetooth module for the Harmon Kardon radios when they first came out. I had one on my 2006 Ultra, and now have one on my 2011 Ultra Limited. When I got the 2011 bike, the module had been discontinued, but I found a NOS one.

The module interfaces with the radio and it has voice control. You use a helmet mounted headset to talk. It will interrupt the radio, and then when your call is done, return you to your music.

Because of work, employees, etc.... I need to be reachable, even when I'm out riding. And I'm an IBA member, so it's not unusual for me to ride 1000 mile days. I've got a full face helmet that's nice and quiet, most people have no idea I'm speaking to them going down the highway on my bike.

Old 08-21-2013 | 03:07 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by twistr
Cellphone feature on the 2014 touring models...Geez...Bad enough we have to dodge cagers talking and texting, now we have to watch out for the idiots riding their motorcycles and talking on their phone too...THANKS HD...GREAT JOB!!!
This will make group rides more exciting.

Old 08-21-2013 | 03:21 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

All we need is for the cagers to see some guy on a bagger making a call or text. They won't have any smidgen of a compunction about doing the same.

Touring bikes can be the shiznet. But I personally think they are starting to look and act more like SUVs.

I don't want to hear anybody's "Boom Audio." I don't want anybody spilling their coffee on the road because they have a freggin cup holder in their faring. And I don't want to honk at another biker frozen at the light because he's reading a grocery list text from his old lady.

It's supposed to be a freggin motorcycle. Enough already with the soccer mom gadgets.

Old 08-21-2013 | 03:41 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by RoadLord
Larry you're so 1998!
Thank you ... Thank you very much. Actually 1998 is a whole lot better than I was expecting "RoadLord"

Old 08-21-2013 | 04:10 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

It should be in addition to a DVD player on the touch screen.

Old 08-21-2013 | 04:19 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

This is nothing new. Folks have been using aftermarket devices for Bluetooth wireless connectons to intercom phone, stereo and GPS for many years.

Old 08-21-2013 | 06:03 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
All we need is for the cagers to see some guy on a bagger making a call or text. They won't have any smidgen of a compunction about doing the same.

Touring bikes can be the shiznet. But I personally think they are starting to look and act more like SUVs.

I don't want to hear anybody's "Boom Audio." I don't want anybody spilling their coffee on the road because they have a freggin cup holder in their faring. And I don't want to honk at another biker frozen at the light because he's reading a grocery list text from his old lady.

It's supposed to be a freggin motorcycle. Enough already with the soccer mom gadgets.
Thanks! Well said,you saved me some typing!!!

Old 08-21-2013 | 06:14 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member

I totally agree with your concern. I don't like to see the GPS mounts on a bike. Like flying an aircraft you need to be synched up 100% with 0 distractions to be safe flying an airplane or motorcycle around other vehicles. As a pilot we went through hours and hours of training to learn to scan the gauges and talk to ATC at the same time and it is not trivial. The last thing you want are distractions. (okay, if you driving out in the desert all by yourself its okay but then why in the hell do you need to be yakking on a cell phone??)

If you want to make a call pull over somewhere. What's so hard about that?

Last edited by kontiki; 08-21-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2013 | 06:56 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by acunn1
Some of us like to see if we get a call from the wife while we are riding...
My wife knows that I don't hear the phone while I'm riding. If she feels the need to get in touch asap, she leaves a message which I get when I stop.

Quick Reply: Am I The Only One Concerened With The...