General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight raddle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:49 PM
bglaze
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Headlight raddle?

The rear shocks on my '09 Super Glide were on the lowest setting (for the lightest load), and since I've been riding 2-up a lot lately, I went ahead and adjusted them up a few ticks. After doing this, I noticed my headlight needed readjusted. So, I adjusted it according to the service manual.

Immediately after re-tightening my headlight, I started my bike up to take a test ride, and I noticed a very prominent headlight rattle. So, I loosened up the bolt again and re-tightened it. After this, the rattle went away completely! However, I had ruined the headlight adjustment. So, I adjusted it once more. This time the rattle came back! So, I left it alone for the night.

Today I took it to my dad's to see if he could help me track down the rattle. When idling it would rattle, and if my dad put his hands on the headlight, the rattle would go away, and then if he let go, it came back. So we are confident that the rattle is in the headlight.

I adjusted the light at his house and tightened it down, and the rattle mysteriously went away again! This time the rattle is gone and the light is adjusted right, so I am not going to touch it. I have ridden 50 miles on it, and it hasn't rattled once since the final adjustment.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:04 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wires inside the housing?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That problem occurred with my Super glide some time ago and, continually got worse!

After close inspection, I discovered that the rivets that hold the brackets to the bucket had become loose.

My solution was to drill them out and replace them with some aviation grade Hi-lock rivets. (Problem solved)

Hope this helps....

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 08-18-2013, 06:15 AM
bglaze
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Tim
That problem occurred with my Super glide some time ago and, continually got worse!

After close inspection, I discovered that the rivets that hold the brackets to the bucket had become loose.

My solution was to drill them out and replace them with some aviation grade Hi-lock rivets. (Problem solved)

Hope this helps....

Best wishes....Tim(HT)
That is very interesting! Thank you so much for that tip!

I will check these out.