General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad dealer/MOCO?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Drakester
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad dealer/MOCO?

I had a bad deal with a dealer in northern Indiana and contacted the MOCO. I might as well pissed in the wind.All the MOCO said "we can't make a dealer do anything" Has anyone had the MOCO take of a problem with a dealer?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
57springer57
Road Captain
Default RE: Bad dealer/MOCO?

I would not give up, be persistent, just curiuos what is the problem ?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Drakester

I had a bad deal with a dealer in northern Indiana and contacted the MOCO. I might as well pissed in the wind.All the MOCO said "we can't make a dealer do anything" Has anyone had the MOCO take of a problem with a dealer?
Back in '94 I had an issue with two bikes in a row, build related and one involved a poor fix under warranty that the MoCo got involved in and the dealer changed attitudes right quick.

Last year, I had something similar come up with a failure on a new V-Rod and called the MoCo, which was VERY unresponsive, though in this case, the dealer was the bright spot and the MoCo was the "business as usual" one....no special response for a long-time, multi-time buyer (they keep excellent records). The old "personal" touch was gone. I think times had changed. That was my feeling. As always, it pays to be very civil and professional in your calls...more with sugar than vinegar and all that. Didn't help.

My thinking is that, now more than ever, the old saying "when youyou are buying the (product), you are buying the dealer"...so it pays to shop around and get references. My last episode had a happy ending for that reason.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Drakester
Advanced

Springer57:My problem was one year ago.I bought a RK on 3-11-06.I was to pick it up with added parts on 3-25-06.The dealership changed hands on 3-22-06. Wife and I took trailer to pick up bike in the rain.Went into dealership and they said bike wasn't ready.They had not even started on it.Three or four people at dealer and the dealers son said they were sorry and would do something to make it right.They said to come back the next day at 1:00 pm it would be ready.The next day I'm there at 1:00.I stood around the show room for 20min and not one of the people from the night before would speek to me.I go into the shop and ask the tech how long on my bike,he told me 20min.I went back into show room and stand for another 20 min.Still no one would talk to me.The tech came out and told me the bike was done.Told the tech I would get the trailer. When I drove across parking lot I saw them push bike out in the rain and go inside.I load bike by myself.As I closed the door I see the owners son outside smokeing.I tell him I didn't think to much of their service.He asked what I wanted them to do.I told him to make me a offer.He said the first oil change was on them.So I was pissed and went home.When I got home I called them about a temp lic plate.3 days later no plate.I called4 times about plate.Each time they say well get it to you.Two wks later no plate so I call MOCO. 30 mins later I get phone call,Guy is yelling at me on phone.Says he is the new owner and didn't like me calling MOCO after all they did for me.He told me to stick the plate up my *** I wasn't getting anything from them and never set foot on his property.I call MOCO as soon as I hang up on him. All they said was "we can't accually make them do anything" And that is the end of my story.Sorry rant is so long.Poor way to be treated after spending 19 grand.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:49 PM
ENZOTHEBAKER
Tourer

Christ, if this is really the way it panned out--I say f*** H-D and all their associates. I love my Harleys, but lately with their poor a** quality and complete disrespectof the customer by the dealers, I'm re-thinking about myposition as a die hard Harley pawn.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 PM
57springer57
Road Captain

I agree, you have a right to complain. word of mouth is the best advertising there is [sm=smiley21.gif] they won't be around long.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:55 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to say it, but you're going to learn what more and more of us have learned every day....The dealership is NOT the place to go for anything! If you want a new scooter, then you shop around, buy the bike, along with the service manual, and be prepared to do your own wrenching, or find a good independant shop. I LOVE Harley-Davidson, but the dealerships, which are not much more than a RUB Boutique, is a place I rarely go into. HOG clubs are for the most part a bum deal.[&o] Find some riding buddies, the clubs that ride ALL makes of bikes, and make a few friends, or ride solo....

P.S. I just bought a new Sporty for my old man, and opted to NOT get the 5-yr. service plan.

Joe
[&:]

Old 03-04-2007, 10:14 PM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member

Sure leaves a bad taste in your mouth even hearing stories like that.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:26 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The MoCo can make any dealer heed to their wishes if you go far enough up the racks at the factory.With a good dealer things like that arent usually needed.Dealers are well schooled on how to treat their customers but its something they learned over time.Many of these dealers today are very young,change employees often and lose customers because of it.The MoCo knows how to build bikes-losing that too-and arent accustomed to dealing with an upset owner.My 07 has its problems,so far neither has cured it,both have been involved.I cant bad mouth my dealer since its basically out of their control,they have done everything w/in their power and that says something.The MoCo needs to listen to their buyers.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:39 PM
wingt50dw
Road Master

I have had many similiar experiences of being ignored in a HD dealership. Seems like, to me, that most of these places want nothing to do with you if you are not dropping big cash. Most of the techs and parts guys I have come in contact with are smart a$$ know-it-alls who treat you like a dumb-a$$ when you ask a question when they really don't know jack themselves. One exception is Big Swamp HD in Auburn/Opelika, AL. They are the friendlest dealership I have been in. BTW if the owner of the dealership called me and told me to stick something up my a$$, I believe I would have to go down there and kick the $**t out of him. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Bad dealer/MOCO?