General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP - New used owner, my experience buying ESP

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts
Default ESP - New used owner, my experience buying ESP

Warning, incoming wall of text but some may find my story interesting and helpful in their purchase of the ESP.

So I bought my 2012 Road King Classic (8400 miles) about 2 weeks ago with the knowledge that my factory warranty was set to expire on August 18th. The dealer I purchased from offered the ESP at the time of purchase but I declined and he said I could purchase it anytime before the 18th without issue.

After some thinking and reading on these forums, I decided to do a little shopping for a 4 year (2 additional years of warranty) ESP for the added piece of mind. This is my 1st Harley (not my first bike) and I figured I'd better take the ESP option while I learn more about my bike, you know, just in case

So, I send an email to the dealer I bought the bike from (figure I'll give them 1st cack) I also call my local dealer and I get some info from a couple other dealers that have really good pricing.

I get a quote for $1449 for the 4 year with tire and wheel from the dealer I purchased from. A quote of $1034 for the 4 year with tire and wheel from an "online" source. The quote from my local dealer was $1699 for the 4 year tire and wheel. I asked my local dealer if we were talking about the same thing ie was it the 4 years or the 4 additional years because the quote was significantly higher than the other quotes I received. She asked what quote did I have and I gave her the $1034 quote. She immediately said she would match it! So off I went to purchase it.

I got to my local dealer and started filling out the paperwork when she told me that the bike was under warranty until 2016!!! Holy crap, the dealer I bought it from didn't tell me that and as I said, tried to sell me an ESP. It was then explained to me that the only way we could transfer the warranty was the original purchaser had to sign the paperwork. Well this is where I start to cry after thinking I was getting a free ESP. Turns out the dealers cash in the unused portion of the ESP when they by used bikes then try and sell a new full price ESP to the new buyer. We're thinking mine just hadn't processed yet.

I still got a great price on an ESP from my local dealer who was very much willing to match an online quote with little more than a printout. Would have been nice to have 3 additional years though

I learn more and more about the Harley world every day, not like anything else I've seen before, good and bad.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically the seller will cash out the remainder of the ESP (at a discount) and get at least some cash back. My experience is limited to ESP's on cars (and I've done many of those), but I don't think the dealers can simply cash them in because they have no rights to them unless somehow the seller signs it over (which I've never heard of). They are legal contracts between the ESP company and the purchasers - dealers have no legal standing.

With all of that said and being open for debate by others, the important thing here is that YOU got a good deal on something YOU wanted.

We can now stand by for all of those who don't like ESP's and will tell you (and me - I have a 5/7 year one) that they're worthless.

Enjoy your new RK and ride safe.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

whenever i've bought a new vehicle, be it either a car or bike, there has always been a 'special power of attorney' that i've had to sign. i wonder if that would extend to the esp as well?

as far as "Turns out the dealers cash in the unused portion of the ESP when they by used bikes then try and sell a new full price ESP" goes, i've never heard of that. i've always heard dealers pushing the 'it's got 2 years left on esp' as a selling point. but, that is in no way inclusive of all dealers, just the few that i've dealt with.