General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you save your old OEM parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 AM
McMurphy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated earlier....I would keep the stock parts.
When I look to buy a bike....It may be set up in a way I dont like. I then add up how much it would cost to get it back to stock. If the owner has the OE parts in a box...its a bonus....not a minus...easier to sell.

Some people destroy bikes...and they never can really be returned to norm.
Also...with the older bikes...worth more stock...not some kids experiment gone bad.

Murph

Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

The garage gets a little filled up with **** at times so I've sold some stock parts. The parts I still have I kept because I think I may need some day, or I just couldn't sell. Who am I kidding, I'll never need those parts again. lol

Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Keep all the parts and just give them to the next owner.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Warren9073
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya I have saved everything. Can't really say why. Although when my digitial oil temp and level gauge quit working I did have the stock oil cap to reinstall.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I do, and for the reason that I can return my bike to stock at sale/trade-in time and reuse or sell the add ons.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I do I do!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My garage is full of parts off all the bikes I've owned... each is boxed and labeled with its contents. Someday they will be worth a fortune. At least that is what I tell myself.

seats, sissy bars, air filters, handle bars, floor boards, saddle bags, gas tanks, fenders, racks, pouches, exhaust systems, disks, cylinders, forks, passing lamps, switches, covers, cams and that is all I can think of. Each time I look at the boxes I find stuff that I forgot I have.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,844 Likes on 19,331 Posts

I've got an ample supply of extra's from over the years ... Every once in a while I see someone looking for a little something and I'll get into a generous mood and kind of "Pay It Forward" ... It gives a "warm and fuzzy feeling" way down deep inside. :>)

Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I have stock mufflers on two of my bikes, but would keep them if I change, just in case noise laws ever get passed where I am or where I want to go. Stock seats... mostly don't like them, and probably wouldn't get much more for the aftermarket seats I've bought than the originals, so I don't see much reason to keep them. Lot of little parts, pegs, levers, hardware, can come in handy if something breaks, even if temporarily - and has.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:52 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
A friend of mine's wife went to an estate sale. In an attempt to do something nice for her hubby, she bought him a bunch of in the box aftermarket Harley parts. Turns out they were the stock parts stored in the aftermarket boxes. Apparently the deceased bought parts, put them on his scooter and kept the stock parts in the aftermarket boxes.
Yup, that's pretty much how I have mine stowed away. I've saved every OEM part, from the seat & exhaust, right down to nuts & bolts. Look on my shelves and it's all aftermarket boxes/packaging. The old parts fit and stay protected that way so I figure, why not?

Hey, props to the wife for trying to do something nice!

Quick Reply: How many of you save your old OEM parts?