General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 AM
arizonacloud
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on riding

Sorry if this has been asked before but, I bought a 05 Sportster 1200 two years ago. Havent rode it because I'm more than worried about the weight. Im a fairly small female, 115 lbs 5"3. I almost laid it down just moving it around in the garage. since then I'm leery about even doing that. I only have ridden dirt bikes/atvs before. Should I buy something like a Buell blast and ride for a while or just scrap the Harley idea cause its so dang heavy.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:05 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A smaller bike is an option and one my wife did prior to her Sportster. Sportster is a great bike but can be a challenge due to its power to weight ratio, meaning it can be fast. When you are moving it around, sit on the bike and duck walk instead of standing next to it.

Have you taken the BRC yet?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Start with something light maybe a honda 250 or whatever you feel comfortable moving around and once you gain some confidence than you'll be ready for the sportster. That is why we alway suggest getting a cheap used metric as beginner so one can gain confidence and make less costly mistakes before buying a Harley.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:32 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you taken a MSF course yet? All bikes are inherently unstable at slow speeds.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 51,755 Likes on 18,274 Posts

A used Honda Rebel 250 would be good for you or have someone take you to a large empty parking lot to let you get used to you sportster 1200.

Heck I was having a discussion about the new Honda Grom being a good starter bike because it is so small and light and has a manual transmission to let you learn the basics of operating a motorcycle until you get confortable enough to go bigger. MSRP = $2999 so you could resell it easy, if you can actually find one.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/grom.aspx

Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,631 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Most Harley riders probably aren't going to agree with this, but I'd say if you have much time on a dirt bike, you already have some skills the street only crowd will never have - because it hurts too much to develop them on pavement. Dirt bike gearing lets you easily putter around at single digit speeds - the sporty's tall gearing makes that a challenge, so when you do ride it, get it moving without poking around, especially the first couple gears, let it spin up to at least 3 grand before shifting and it'll feel better than letting that torque chug along at 1800 rpm, even though it can do it. Forget the parking lot training on a sporty, you need to find some roads without a lot of traffic that you can cruise on till till you get the feel of the sporty; parking lots are great places to break turn signals and scratch chrome on a sporty, at least till you get used to it. You didn't say, but if you have forward controls, they'll probably feel awkward, especially if all you've ridden before are mid peg dirt bikes. Lots of the Harley community consider the sporty a beginner's; I'd disagree strongly. It never feels as light and nimble as many of the just as heavy metric bikes do as soon as they're moving, but that's probably a lot of it's appeal; it's a bit of a beast and you have to control it, not much of the "I just think about it and it does it" ride you get on some of the metrics (but with enough experience, it'll feel natural to you). The suggestion about moving the sporty while sitting on it is a good one; I'm 6'3" and have to be very careful trying to move it in the garage while standing next to it. Trying that on a sloped driveway can be a disaster. And always try to have the front wheel straight when you use the front brake (walking it, you pretty much have to); even walking it, grabbing the front brake makes the bike try to ride over the wheel; don't notice it straight ahead, but sure do if it's turned, will try to lay down on you.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:46 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arizonacloud
Sorry if this has been asked before but, I bought a 05 Sportster 1200 two years ago. Havent rode it because I'm more than worried about the weight. Im a fairly small female, 115 lbs 5"3. I almost laid it down just moving it around in the garage. since then I'm leery about even doing that. I only have ridden dirt bikes/atvs before. Should I buy something like a Buell blast and ride for a while or just scrap the Harley idea cause its so dang heavy.
Even a 250 is going to be hard to keep up-right ( once it starts over ).

Just start off slow. Ride it around the block a couple times every day. Get it to a parking lot and practice. Once you get used to the feel, you'll be OK.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I have the perfect starter bike for you. A 1985 Honda Rebel. It has a small frame so it sits low to the ground. It is quick with plenty of get up and go but has no real power.

I'd offer to either swap bikes with you or sell it if you were closer.

Carl

Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

You should have test ridden one before you bought it, rather than have it sit for 2 years. But any bike, big or small, are awkward to move around just walking it. Once they get going straight, there's nothing to it.

If you're that concerned about it, sell it and get something a lot smaller.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Start with something light maybe a honda 250 or whatever you feel comfortable moving around and once you gain some confidence than you'll be ready for the sportster. That is why we alway suggest getting a cheap used metric as beginner so one can gain confidence and make less costly mistakes before buying a Harley.
That's what I recommend also. A used, light, starter bike that are easy to ride and makes no difference if you drop it. Also take both MSF riding courses - beginner and advanced.

Last edited by barjbar; 08-14-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Need advice on riding