General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A word about 3/4 helmets after 9 hrs of obsessing

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM
barchetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A word about 3/4 helmets after 9 hrs of obsessing

Ive read thread after thread about dot helmets.. and there is one thing people arent grasping.. well maybe 2..

The first is, the least stupid looking helmet is going to be a brand that has multiple shells for the sizes.. look at daytona's site and you will see they list them... Unfortunately its hard to figure out who does this.. which is why I just finally made an order for a daytona..

also.. the foam technology must be new.. which allows for 1" thick and less foam.. actually my half shell DOT helmet is nearly 3/4"! I got lucky on that one. its a street& steel branded helmet.. dont know the model sorry.

thats really about it.. and what people dont realize when they see someone wearing a helmet is they dont know the size.. so if they guy is a XL and you are a small (like me).. its a WORLD of difference if the manufacture uses MULTIPLE shell sizes...

thats the key.. youd think youd pay a ton more for that.. but daytona is cheap.. however.. the quality is supposedly not that great.. which is fine.. Ill buy one after a few seasons again.. who cares.

that is all.. just trying to be helpful.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:34 AM
barchetta
Tourer

By the way.. stay away from the torc brand.. holy COW!!! HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they use 1.5" foam and ONE shell..

Old 08-11-2013, 11:38 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

with my big head I never buy a helmet without trying it on the ol' noggin first

Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 AM
JaySwear
Road Captain

I bought a helmet on eBay and got EXTREMELY lucky. I was 99% sure it would fit, but I'd rather buy in person every time. Sometimes a helmet will fit but has some other feature that I can't stand about it. Always best to try it on first.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 AM
barchetta
Tourer

Originally Posted by ynots
with my big head I never buy a helmet without trying it on the ol' noggin first
Im not talking about fitment.. fitment is easy.. measure your head and look at the chart... order the one you fall into... Im talking about pure vanity in terms of how big it looks on your head.. and if you are a XL head.. you dont need to worry because ALL helmet manufactures START with an XL shell.. so all you need to worry about is the foam type. If its 1" or less.. you are NOT going to get a smaller helmet.. but as a small head I could be wearing an XL shell with like 2" of damn foam..

Old 08-11-2013, 11:45 AM
barchetta
Tourer

Originally Posted by JaySwear
I bought a helmet on eBay and got EXTREMELY lucky. I was 99% sure it would fit, but I'd rather buy in person every time. Sometimes a helmet will fit but has some other feature that I can't stand about it. Always best to try it on first.
Again.. my thread has nothing to do with fitment.. but I hear ya brother.. helmets should be very tight fitting.. if you are too tight you can compress the foam with your hands.. though you dimish the DOT factor.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:57 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

We bought HJC 3/4 helmets and while mine fits, my wife's is tight on the sides and loose in the front and back. I'm guessing her head is more round than oval. Anyway, in the wind, it pivots on the sides and goes back on her head, with the chin strap digging into her neck. Getting them online, we didn't know this would happen. I suggested a FF but she doesn't want one.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:49 PM
JaySwear
Road Captain

Originally Posted by barchetta
Again.. my thread has nothing to do with fitment.. but I hear ya brother.. helmets should be very tight fitting.. if you are too tight you can compress the foam with your hands.. though you dimish the DOT factor.
I should have elaborated, I meant I was lucky I liked it AND the shell size wasn't crazy. I'm not a very big guy at all, but wear a large size helmet... I probably look a little goofy walking around before I get on my bike and ride away

Old 08-15-2013, 03:02 PM
barchetta
Tourer

Just got my Daytona.. its AMAZING how small it is.. fits perfect.. I'll post some photos of it on soon.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 52,691 Likes on 18,469 Posts

Thanks for the information I will look into them.

I have a giant noggin and half helms on me look like a military radar dome or dark helmet from spaceballs. If they could make a safe helmet that didn't look so gigantic I would be 1st in line.

Attached Thumbnails A word about 3/4 helmets after 9 hrs of obsessing-spaceballs.jpg  

Quick Reply: A word about 3/4 helmets after 9 hrs of obsessing