General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A word about 3/4 helmets after 9 hrs of obsessing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM
michaelm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap is never a good criteria for helmet selection.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

How you look is never a good criteria for helmet selection either. I support your right to go without a helmet, but if you are going to wear a helmet don't kid yourself... the only viable option for protecting your head and your FACE is a full face helmet. They call it a face plant for a reason. I sure wouldn't want to go through life after surviving a crash because my half helmet did it's job, but have my prosthetic nose always fall off in public because because my real nose got left somewhere on the concrete.

Might as well go without a helmet if you're going to wear a half helmet...

Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 PM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking at helmets at the HDealer. They showed me the new, lighter, smaller one. I would wager that its the same thing as Daytona only twice the cash. Probably a good idea to size up at HD and order from Daytona. As I write this, Im thinking of the last post I read about scrubbin my face off in a wreck. Been thinking of buying a DOT 1/2. But, maybe not. People I meet often ask why I don't wear a real helmet. I reply, "I don't want to remember the wreck".

Last edited by 300Slim; 08-16-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:50 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx2k
I was looking at helmets at the HDealer. They showed me the new, lighter, smaller one. I would wager that its the same thing as Daytona only twice the cash. Probably a good idea to size up at HD and order from Daytona. As I write this, Im thinking of the last post I read about scrubbin my face off in a wreck. Been thinking of buying a DOT 1/2. But, maybe not. People I meet often ask why I don't wear a real helmet. I reply, "I don't want to remember the wreck".
I'd rather remember the wreck and walk away with a few bruises because I was wearing proper gear, and be able to spend time with my family and live a happy life than be dead or a vegetable.

There are many crashes that happen everyday, where a person winds up going to the hospital because they were not wearing gear, where had they been wearing the proper gear, they would have gotten up, rode their motorcycle home all pissed off, and replaced a few turn signals and chrome parts... not nursing degloved or removed fingers and changing bandages on their ankle that was ground down to the bone.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

chickin--go buy your wife a helmet that fits...sounds like the one she has now could be dangerous in a wreck.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 PM
ThreatLevel Midnight
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Unless you wear your helmet around like a baseball cap, who cares about the oft-lamented "mushroom head"? When you are merrily riding along on your badass hog, do you think anybody can really see you well enough to discern "shroomism"?

I must admit that when I throw a leg over the saddle of my own iron horse, I think of little else besides "dang I must look cool to all these gawkers". Guess I'm not the only one.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I have the smallest DOT half shell on the planet. Medium size and the width of the foam is less than the width of a dime at only 5/8".

Old 08-16-2013, 11:48 AM
barchetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the posts that are irrelevant to my thread.. complete waste of time.. why you need to soap box on safety is beyond me.. I decided to get a DOT helmet I could live with.. so what? now.. go away.. thanks

Now since you all brought it up.. safety has little to do with cost.. you pay for comfort, weight, and cosmetics. 90% of the helmets you see on the road are $100 or less.. that is cheap.. I've had bad crashes in the MRA where I broke several bones and my helmet didnt have a scratch.. so you all take chances one way or another.. I bet some of you dont suit up on a hot summer day.. shame shame shame.. but at the same time you get on your soap box about helmets.. frankly, Id rather be dead than live with what can happen to arms and legs. You want protection? Wear what I did when I raced.. full kangaroo leather with a brand new $400 full face helmet and boots that cover your calves.. to the tune of about $1500 total. Money well spent.. one emergency room visit can cost that. I was only on the track for 30 minutes so it was not a problem heat wise.. and I looked cool as hell (this gets even more important as I approach 50 yrs hahaha).

Back to my thread.. I didnt want a novelty helmet.. I wanted a DOT that I felt I looked cool in.. my preference.. (well, as cool as I can look anyway).. and doesnt matter if you think I look cool or not.. what matters is that I do

Now.. regarding this daytona.. and it being DOT.. I say its not.. and if you want one you better buy one now.. I took my fist and smacked it and it hurt.. that didnt happen on another dot helmet I just tested that looked like I was an astronaut. As most of you know, other helmets have hit the market as DOT certed and yanked off.

Here is my helmet.. a medium would be slightly bigger... look on their site and decide for yourself..

*******/1cKiEEX
Sorry guys.. this site wont accept a shorten URL, dont want to post mine in public and I dont want to post my photos in a place I have no control over them.. have to sort this out and get back on here when I have time.. but trust me.. its small.. looks like a novelty helmet on steroids.. the foam is approx 3/4" thick.. which is the new DOT foam size if you research it.

Again.. the silly safety comments are unnecessary.. Im trying to help people out.. IF ANYTHING I got someone who does not where anything to wear one.. so, respectfully, shut your pie holes..

Last edited by barchetta; 08-16-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:11 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

All my Bros call me John.

Crazy thing about it, that's what's on my birth certificate too.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAmiteBuzz
I have the smallest DOT half shell on the planet. Medium size and the width of the foam is less than the width of a dime at only 5/8".
heheh. I bet that looks freggin money in the shop window.

Quick Reply: A word about 3/4 helmets after 9 hrs of obsessing