General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed My Carb's WOT Hesitation. No More Startron!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fixed My Carb's WOT Hesitation. No More Startron!

Was talking with a friend in early spring about issues with gas today and was told about Startron enzyme additive. Was told that several small gas powered items are now coming with a trial bottle from the manufacturer claiming it's needed to overcome the quick death to gas powered items from today's gas mix.

So I followed the instructions and added to a full tank, and started using it with each fill up. It was at that time I had issues with an intake leak and poor carb performance issues, primarily hesitation with wide open throttle acceleration.

I worked and worked on the carb adjusting the idle air adjustment and attempting to get rid of a rough idle and the hesitation.

Last week I filled the tank and thought why not skip the additive and just see what I get. The bike began running smoother and less of a hesitation. 3 tanks later my bike is performing like it was new. Gas mileage went from 38 to 45mpg and just yesterday it's now taking WOT without any issues.

I'll admit I have worked this issue from every angle, including rejetting up by two steps and then going back to just replacing the main jet with a fresh main jet of the same stock size. I was going to readjust the float some more but didn't have to because it's running perfect now.

I may have caused the float setting to move by disassembling it several times while checking the larger jets and now it's at the "sweet spot" without hesitation. I may have dislodged a blockage to the main jet induction tube but I had cleaned this carb several times making certain to backwash the outlet ports and to set the float perfectly by using a micrometer. May have even settled (seated) the compliance fittings on the intake sealing them up completely by the multiple disassembling of the float bowl. Also I may have just nailed the perfect setting for the air idle adjustment. Could have been just "dumb luck"???

I feel not using the additive actually cleared up the hesitation issue. And it took 3 tanks of fill ups to run through the remaining additive.

So I'm moving to seafoam treatment in the future for any other "dirty carb" issues and winter storage. AND no more additives use on a regular basis.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 AM
01fxdxt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Yea,I never put much faith in snake oil cures myself.But I do use Stabil for winter storage and in spring ,drain tank and dump in my truck. As long as the bike is ridden regularly I have never had problem with corn gas.Buy your gas at a station that has higher volume sales minimizes risk with crappy fuel.
I almost believe a little alcohol in fuel might keep things clean with regular use?My father used to add dry gas to every other tank full (car) in winter and am pretty sure that was a similar alcohol.
There just isn't some magical liquid.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Tunafisher
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sometimes use Yamaha Ring Free additive if I haven't run something for a long time. Helps to clean things out nicely and never had a problem with it. You only need about an ounce to 5 gallons of gas.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 PM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*shrug* I ride approximately 200 miles to 400 miles a week almost year 'round.

Have yet to have an issue with E10 or E15.