General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barely made it to work!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 AM
bglaze
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Barely made it to work!

Well, this morning, on my way into work, my '09 Super Glide started sputtering (it never sputters) about 1/2 mile from my office parking lot. I would give throttle up and it would accelerate and then sputter down and again and again a few times until it wouldn't accelerate at all, and I had to coast over to the side of the road.

I tried starting it twice more, and it did start both times, but if I tried to give it some throttle, it just sputtered out. It acted exactly as if it was out of gas, except the gas gauge read that it was full with 3/4 tank of gas.

I can't remember exactly the last time I filled it up, and I've ridden a lot in the past 4 or 5 days, so there is a good chance I am just out of gas and that my gas gauge is fudged.

Is this common? Gas gauges being inaccurate?

If I go down and put some gas in it, and it turns out that an empty tank was NOT my problem, does anyone have any ideas what else could cause this? Bad fuel injector? Clogged fuel filter?

I did make it to work on time! I was able to walk the bike like half a block into my parking lot. But, it was embarrassing. =)

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

My guess would be your gas gauge is stuck. Pretty common on Harley's. I just use my trip odometer and fill up every 180 miles or so.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 AM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hope your gas gauge isn't that far off, but it is an HD after all.

There is only 1 spot on my gas gauge that I know to be accurate: full. Even when the tank is empty (as in, I've put 4.9 gallons in a 4.9 gallon tank), the needle isn't all the way over to the left. Hence, I go by the mileage on the clock as opposed to the fuel gauge.

Anyway, I think I've read there might be a pin-hole in the fuel line running in the gas tank if it sputters like that.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:13 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

My bike is doing that also,have to take it in.
Disconnected the PC5 and no difference.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 AM
mikek87
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did u look in the tank. That should have been the first thing u did.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 AM
bglaze
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikek87
Did u look in the tank. That should have been the first thing u did.
Yes, and it was the first thing I did, but I was not able to see any gas. I did smell gas, but that doesn't really mean a whole lot, since an empty tank will probably smell of gas as well. My tank has a high middle bar thing, and it blocks a lot of visibility into the tank. I was going to stick something down in there like a clean paint stir, but I didn't have anything clean on me, and I had to get into my office and start working.

On lunch I am going to try putting some gas in it and see what it does.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 AM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Take off the gas cap While sitting on the bike and move the bike to the left and the right while looking in the tank. If there is gas in the tank you will hear it if not see it sloshing around.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

A gas gauge can spoil you. On my last two bikes, small 2 gal. tanks and no gauge at all. But in the years I had them, I ran out once on my Panhead.

Put some in it and if your gauge is messed up, do the trip meter gimmick.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Even if your gas gauge is messed up the low fuel light will come on. Is it on? I have an 09 and I use the range function of my odometer and disregard what the gas gauge says.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 AM
acunn1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why I wish they still had gas petcocks with the reserve.. ride till it shuts off then switch to reserve and get some gas.

Quick Reply: Barely made it to work!