General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok. I'm now officially confused about cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013 | 09:40 PM
NascarGuy
Supporter

I have an 09 Ultra and there was no Cat in mine.

Old 08-13-2013 | 08:09 AM
tnbillybob
Cruiser

Ask your selling dealer if he "dealer transferred" your bike from California. Bought my 13 Ultra Limited from Abernathy's in Tn, but MSO was from a dealer in West VA.

Old 08-13-2013 | 09:11 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sarge095
Don't know what to think. I have an 09 Ultra that now has a 103 kit and 255 cam. I've very much enjoyed the new setup, btw.

Anyway, the dealership that did the work threw in a dyno that seems to be some top notch tuning. Therein comes the confusion.

The dealership that did the work mentioned that the dyno results were really impressive considering that my bike still had the cat in place. Hmm ......

I have always been told that they didn't start putting cats in the Ultras until 10, unless your 09 was a CVO, which mine is not. I asked the service manager and mechanic about that and the both swear that my bike has a cat.

Well, I then went to a dealership in a different city and is one I've dealt with for a long time. I consider the head mechanic a pretty good friend and have always trusted what he says. He reiterated that an 09 does NOT have a cat, unless it is a CVO.

So ... one dealership says absolutely yes, it has a cat, while another says absolutely no, it doesn't. I've read a lot about benefits of removing a cat if you have one vs. leaving it in place, but it's damn hard to make that kind of decision if I can't figure out for sure if I even have one to begin with. Any suggestions?
The way I read this is that a dealer put a 103 kit and cams in your bike and then did a dyno tune. They had their hands on your bike for several hours. A friend that works at another dealer didn't look at your bike but reiterated that "09's don't have cats". I don't know why the dealer that actually worked on your bike would say it had cats if they didn't know that for sure. I would believe what they said. I wasn't aware that California bikes had cats a year before the others but that would seem to be the answer. Are you the original owner of the bike? I believe if the 8th digit of the VIN is a 3, you have a California bike.