General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some opinions... to dyno or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Need some opinions... to dyno or not?

I have an appointment tomorrow to get my bike dyno'd. It has never been on a dyno and I'm not sure what to think on doing it or not. Right now, I am running a canned map that FuelMoto put on my PCIII for my set up (V&H BSS, Big Sucker, Wood 555 cam). To me, it seems to run good....no decel popping, seems to run well overall. But this is my first bike that I have done mods to and my first bike since 1993 so I'm not sure I know what a good power curve feels like.

The guy at my local Indy says he swears I will notice the difference....in gas mileage and HP/trq. He said I could gain as much as 10hp and 15 Torq all by having someone dyno it manually. He said the canned maps are nice but are not "ideal".

I question this but I know the people on this forum will know for sure so I am asking you guys.... is putting it on the dyno worth it? He is charging me $300 and if its not worth it overall, I will not do it.

EDIT: I decided to get it dyno tuned. Please see this post for my results: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/11616155-post30.html

Last edited by ghoticov; 08-08-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added Dyno Results
Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

If I'm not going to notice it in the seat, I would rather put that $300 towards a rear profile spoke wheel.

So your feedback is going to be huge for me!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 64 Likes on 15 Posts

Running a bike on a dynamometer will not change it's performance (unless you damage the engine). I'm guessing that you are actually talking about having someone tune your engine and measuring the results on a dynamometer. Correct?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SteveMKentucky
Running a bike on a dynamometer will not change it's performance (unless you damage the engine). I'm guessing that you are actually talking about having someone tune your engine and measuring the results on a dynamometer. Correct?
Yes, sorry. They are going to run it on the dyno and tune it (tune the PCIII).

Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

$300 is worth it. Have him provide a before and after dyno to show the gains. 5hp/5tq is a lot of power to leave on th table with a bike, not to mention fuel optimization.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:57 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
$300 is worth it. Have him provide a before and after dyno to show the gains. 5hp/5tq is a lot of power to leave on th table with a bike, not to mention fuel optimization.
Cool. Yea, he said he would give me a before and after.

I never thought I could even gain 5 HP or torque just by having someone manually tune it. I always thought the canned map was as good as it gets.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 64 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
Yes, sorry. They are going to run it on the dyno and tune it (tune the PCIII).
If I were to modify my engine I would want to ensure that the fuel/air mixture was spot on to produce optimum torque (I don't care about 'horsepower') so yeah..I'd do it. I've done it many times with my race bikes.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:01 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,074 Likes on 5,006 Posts

just don't watch!! very violent! will make you cry for a long time! but it should run a whole lot better, assuming he knows what hes doing

Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SteveMKentucky
If I were to modify my engine I would want to ensure that the fuel/air mixture was spot on to produce optimum torque (I don't care about 'horsepower') so yeah..I'd do it. I've done it many times with my race bikes.
Well, me too. Lol

But the question is, will I really gain anything if I am already running a map that is for my setup? I mean, unless the person that created the map has no idea what he is doing, why would someone tuning it for themselves do any better? And I'm guessing that the people at FuelMoto know what they are doing in regards to maps.

So, that's why this is a bit confusing to me.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
just don't watch!! very violent! will make you cry for a long time! but it should run a whole lot better, assuming he knows what hes doing
Ha! No, I won't be watching.

But see my question above. Why would it run better than the map I am already running that someone created for my setup?

Quick Reply: Need some opinions... to dyno or not?