General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some opinions... to dyno or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidaDude
Thanks for posting the dyno-chart/results... Interesting curve for the bike/mods...
What is interesting about the curve with the bike/mods? Just curious.

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
You could see some nice gains with a good 2-1 pipe. The Fatcat looks awesome on a softail.

Shakey
Yea, I know I could a little better with a 2-1 but the BBs actually performs really well because of the cross over. How much I would gain with a 2-1? I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Anymore guys are more concerned with how their exhaust sounds and looks than how it performs.
I actually like the way a 2-1 looks about the same as my 2-2. I got the BSS because I do like the way it looks, the performance is nice and I love the way it sounds.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
What is interesting about the curve with the bike/mods? Just curious.

Yea, I know I could a little better with a 2-1 but the BBs actually performs really well because of the cross over. How much I would gain with a 2-1? I'm not sure.

I actually like the way a 2-1 looks about the same as my 2-2. I got the BSS because I do like the way it looks, the performance is nice and I love the way it sounds.

Question on getting Dyno. I know if you run the power commander you have to have the map you download that intercepts the ECU. But with running the power vision with auto tune aren't you doing what a dyno session do since it is tuning the map as you go. I know OP you have the PCV but I run the PV and was wondering if a Dyno would do any good. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac10
Question on getting Dyno. I know if you run the power commander you have to have the map you download that intercepts the ECU. But with running the power vision with auto tune aren't you doing what a dyno session do since it is tuning the map as you go. I know OP you have the PCV but I run the PV and was wondering if a Dyno would do any good. Thanks.
good question... hmmmm

Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mac10
I have no idea. I am also using a PCIII, not the PCV. Maybe someone that uses the PV can chime in but what you said certainly makes sense.

My post is mainly to let people that are using a tuner that does not tune on the fly (PCIII, Fuelpak,PCV, etc) that if they are just using preloaded maps, they are probably not getting the best performance they could be. I rode my bike again last night and I cannot believe how much better it runs. I can't say for sure that I feel the extra 6 HPP or torque but it feels so much smoother in all RPM ranges and I can tell my fuel economy is already better based on how much I have used in riding 100 miles or so.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have to have things right before the auto tune takes over. It is only going to maintain whatever tune you have, be it a canned map or a custom dyno tune.

At least that is the way it was explained to me.

BTW, that is a sweet looking bike you have ghoticov.

Shakey

Old 08-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
I think you have to have things right before the auto tune takes over. It is only going to maintain whatever tune you have, be it a canned map or a custom dyno tune.

At least that is the way it was explained to me.

BTW, that is a sweet looking bike you have ghoticov.

Shakey

So if your running auto tune runs its not improving the map?

Old 08-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I suppose it does correct the map when the temp/humidity/altitude etc. changes.

I certainly am not the expert on this, so I defer to someone who is.

Shakey

Old 08-09-2013, 03:11 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,228 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Hey ghoticov, I believe you can get rid/reduce that dip in the torque curve with some W158 TTI's. Click HERE for more info.

Regarding the Power Vision. It does not tune on the fly.

When you start an auto-tune session, go for a ride. While riding it records your riding style, along with other factors and builds a new tune ("map").

Then, AFTER you shut the auto-tune session down, you can flash the new improved tune to the ECM.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Hey ghoticov, I believe you can get rid/reduce that dip in the torque curve with some W158 TTI's. Click HERE for more info.

Regarding the Power Vision. It does not tune on the fly.

When you start an auto-tune session, go for a ride. While riding it records your riding style, along with other factors and builds a new tune ("map").

Then, AFTER you shut the auto-tune session down, you can flash the new improved tune to the ECM.
Thanks Kevin! Do the inserts change the sound? Would have to do another dyno tune after inserting them to make sure it doesn't change anything else? I feel like it runs so good, I don't want to mess it up. Lol

Old 08-09-2013, 03:45 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,228 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
Thanks Kevin! Do the inserts change the sound? Would have to do another dyno tune after inserting them to make sure it doesn't change anything else? I feel like it runs so good, I don't want to mess it up. Lol
Yes, the sound will be a little deeper.

No, no additional tuning is needed, they do not change the AFR in the cylinders. They do speed up the exhaust gas velocity, reducing reversion, which almost for sure the reason for that dip in power.

If you get them, and do not feel and increase in seat of the pants power, just return them for a refund.

Quick Reply: Need some opinions... to dyno or not?