General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some opinions... to dyno or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sometimes it isn't about the hp/tq but the throttle response, mileage, dead spots eliminated, etc.

I would watch if you can. I filmed by Charger getting dyno tuned, it was frickin cool.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Sometimes it isn't about the hp/tq but the throttle response, mileage, dead spots eliminated, etc.

I would watch if you can. I filmed by Charger getting dyno tuned, it was frickin cool.
I may end up watching.

I am also leaning towards ditching the PCIII and getting the Master tune TTS.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

If your happy with the way it runs, then would not do it. FM does a good job with the maps so if the indy said he could get another 10hp out of it, would think BS and not trust the guy.

Spend the money on wheels if thats what you want. Unless upgrading from the PCIII, leave it alone.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth it? Hell yes!

I spent 400.00 to have mine tuned last week. I gained some good numbers, but it's not all about that. I had a huge dip @ 2500 in hp and torque. Both of those are gone. I had surging at the same RPM in every gear. Gone too.

Before 88/96

After 102/102

It is probably the best 400.00 I have ever spent on the bike.

Shakey

Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,101 Likes on 4,345 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
If your happy with the way it runs, then would not do it. FM does a good job with the maps so if the indy said he could get another 10hp out of it, would think BS and not trust the guy.

Spend the money on wheels if thats what you want. Unless upgrading from the PCIII, leave it alone.
I couldn't disagree more. Although EFI is not my thing, the mapping I'm sure is good, but it's generic. The Dyno will SHOW everything and allow the fine tuning for YOUR bike. There's no guessing with the Dyno. You'll have YOUR actual HP/Torque curve.

You seem so worried about spending $300.....you put all kinds of money into components to make it run better....spend the lousy $300 bucks to MAKE SURE they are work together as best they can.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:19 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Worth it? Hell yes!

I spent 400.00 to have mine tuned last week. I gained some good numbers, but it's not all about that. I had a huge dip @ 2500 in hp and torque. Both of those are gone. I had surging at the same RPM in every gear. Gone too.

Before 88/96

After 102/102

It is probably the best 400.00 I have ever spent on the bike.

Shakey
Were you using a canned map before? Those are great results and make me hopeful!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyno...

I recommend doing the Dyno and using MasterTune TTS... Suggest that you deliver the bike with all new oil... Definitely WATCH (...if they will let you [prolly through a window outside the booth] it's not THAT bad and YOU may learn something)... Dyno-tune here is $400+... Please post your before/after... Should improve HP/TQ, fuel mileage, eliminate any ping/decal-pop (in ranges that you may not be aware), smooth-out dips/surges/hot-spots... Nice to have a performance baseline chart...

Last edited by user_1534GD; 08-08-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,074 Likes on 5,006 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
I may end up watching.

I am also leaning towards ditching the PCIII and getting the Master tune TTS.
I'm telling you, don't watch!! you will cry!! bike gets thrashed on that thing, and a good tune will entail 20-25 pulls. just go and come back the next day and enjoy
not only that, but as a mechanic myself. its always harder if somebody is watching. do you want people to watch you work? Hey its all up to you, your bike good luck

Old 08-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My builder loaded a saved map he had for a similar build, the difference being I upgraded my TB. So we tried the "tune and ride" approach, and that is where I ended up before the dyno. The bike is far more enjoyable to ride now.

Shakey

Old 08-08-2013, 02:37 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Thanks guys for all your input!

I went ahead and did the dyno and stayed with the PC III. When I got there, he said he didn't think it would be worth the extra $$$ to put the Mastertune TTS on my bike because of only having A/C, Pipes and Cams. He said the numbers wouldn't be that much different with the TTS than with the PCIII. He said if I ever have engine work, then he would recommend the TTS or Race Tuner, etc.

Anyway... the proof is in the pudding! I AM VERY HAPPY I DID THIS and I could not recommend it enough. The FuelMoto guys do a great job with the generic maps but there is absolutely no replacement for a good dyno tune. This is probably the best $300 I spent.

Here are my sheets:

He gave the second sheet to show me Air Fuel issues. He said I would have been lucky if I was getting 30 MPG because of how lean and rich it was running, depending on the RPM. It made perfect sense after he explained it to me.

It is great to gain basically 6 HP. He said I probably gained 10 Torque but he didn't do a sheet that had the before on the torque. Regardless, I can tell it when I twist the throttle, it is SO MUCH more smooth.

He wasn't happy with the dip in the curve at about 3200 RPM and he doesn't know what is causing that. He said it's still not bad at all but he would rather have a nice curve without the small dip. He thought it may be the Wood 555 cams but after looking at their site and seeing more info on them, he said that couldn't be it...he said those are nice cams.

So overall, I am stoked. I have a great running scoot and still have enough to get my profile rear spoke wheel!

Quick Reply: Need some opinions... to dyno or not?