General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melted Plastic On Pipes and My Experience With Easy Off Oven Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 PM
hilts
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted Plastic On Pipes and My Experience With Easy Off Oven Cleaner

I always ride my EG straight into the garage and then do a 3-point turn to have it pointed towards the road, ready for my next ride. I was doing this same maneuver on the weekend, not noticing the two plastic bags of topsoil on the garage floor that my wife had bought. I backed the right exhaust pipe into the top bag and a large area of plastic (about 4x3 inches) melted onto the pipe. GREAT!!!

I did my reading and a lot of guys had success with Easy Off oven cleaner so I picked up a can (the yellow one), a bag of rags and went to work. I ran the bike for about 10 minutes to warm up the pipes. In the meantime I got a metal coffee can which I cleaned out and dried. When I was ready I put on rubber gloves and sprayed a large amount of Easy Off into the coffee can and I stood well away from the bike while doing this. Then, using a clean rag I dipped it into the EO and dabbed it all over the spot. I waited about 10 minutes and using the edge of a quarter, started to gently scrape away the gunk. I repeated this procedure 3 times as there were a few spots where the plastic had melted thicker. It worked beautifully. I then used a rag to wipe the pipe off and then used chrome polish as the final step. All in all, I was very happy with the result. You can't tell anything was ever melted onto the pipe.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple weeks ago I installed some Rush mufflers on my scooter and the old lady promptly stuck the heel of her easy spirit tennis shoe to the chrome pipe. I got it off relatively easy with a clean open weave rag and Flitz metal polish. Yeah it took a little elbow grease, but most products I've found that work without potential harm to the finish require some rubbin'.

Glad to learn another alternative method.

CJ

Old 08-06-2013, 01:39 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used Brillo pads with great success to get crap off my chrome pipes.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,171 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by XKnight
I've used Brillo pads with great success to get crap off my chrome pipes.
This...combined with easy off...works well.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Whippet
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

I poured boiling water over mine, this softened the plastic enough to remove with a plastic window scraper.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM
hilts
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippet
I poured boiling water over mine, this softened the plastic enough to remove with a plastic window scraper.

That's the first time I heard of that remedy.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Never tried it but have heard Mr clean magic eraser works well and won't scratch

Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

I have had success just letting the pipes cool and reheat a couple times (over night), then peeling the plastic off. It doesn't always work but it has worked on a few occasions. Try it next time, before you fire it up for the easy off. Takes a day or two because of the time to let it cool and then run it again but it doesn't scratch.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:22 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Because of threads like this, I now cringe every time I see plastic bags blowing across my path. I never thought about it before but now I watch them like they're going to "run into me".

Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I have not yet had anything melt on the pipes that didn't wipe off after getting them nice and hot again.

Quick Reply: Melted Plastic On Pipes and My Experience With Easy Off Oven Cleaner