General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'bout got wiped out today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007 | 01:20 AM
fuzzyz28
|
Advanced
Default 'bout got wiped out today!!!

I was leaving the base (yes...I'm military)...as I passed through the gate leaving, this car that had been beside me for about 1/2 mile or so (two lane road) all of a sudden floors it...make a very sudden right hand lane change into my lane in order to pass the car in front of him. fortunately I heard his engine rev up and saw him turn so I instinctively let off the gas and hit the brakes...even at that, he JUST missed the front of my bike...whew! This was not a blind spot situation...this was more of a "push me out of the way" situtaion and it REALLY aggrivated me. I then sped up to get the tag number and decided to go back on base and report it. I did fill out a very detailed reckless driving report. I really wasn't sure if it would do any good or not, but this guy just "didn't see me"...again...he more or less just tried to push me out of the way. I asked the SPs if it was a waste of time for me to do this, and they said that they actually take the report, file it through the local sherrif's dept and if it's a base employee...they talk with there supervisor...otherwise...not sure.

I honestly dont' know if it really did any good, they have three buisness days to act on it...but the way I figured it was that if I can make a big enough point with this guy that he about took me out...maybe...just maybe he'll look twice before doing that again and save some other rider from that situation that I had to put up with.

Any military folks here that can vouch for the effectiveness of this approach...or any other suggestions?

sorry...this just really aggrivated me and just needed to vent a little. I've been riding for 20 years and have had a lot of close calls...but this one just got to me.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for letting me vent.

Old 03-03-2007 | 01:30 AM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: 'bout got wiped out today!!!

Sounds like a close one! I'm glad you came out of it ok.

Old 03-03-2007 | 01:31 AM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain

Former Army. Yes it can have an effect. I got my *** chewed and "corrected" more than once for driving like a 18 year old with to much testosterone.

Old 03-03-2007 | 07:51 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

take it to base legal if Security Forces won't act on it. Usually they let the guys Shirt know, and then it gets handled with a quickness. Don't feel alone, I am active duty USAF, (TSgt)alot of us on here!

Joe

Old 03-03-2007 | 09:07 AM
paulca
Road Captain

Glad to hear you are OK and that you took steps to report the pr!ck!

Old 03-03-2007 | 11:46 AM
barnyard
Ultimate HDF Member

If you had already passed through the gate and were on a state road, you can file a complaint with the county attorney. The problem is identifying the actual driver of the car, not just the registered owner. And if the idiot contests the issue, you have to be in court and most likely not at a time convenient to you. Good luck and I'm glad you're okay.

Old 03-03-2007 | 04:55 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member

Glad your ok.. Too many times these situations turn UGLY very quickly....

Old 03-03-2007 | 05:20 PM
E1
Ultimate HDF Member

No doubt you did the right thing -- I'd probably screwed up and followed the guy to find out who he was and try to find out why he wanted to run me over.

Old 03-03-2007 | 05:43 PM
El Jefe
Intermediate

Good luck even getting a response from security. A long while ago (early 80's) I was hit on the Air Station side of Norfolk Naval Base buy a car that decided to make a leftthrough an intersection that me and my bike happened to occupy.We were both approaching the intersection from opposite directions, we both had flashing yellow lights (base used to shut down the traffic signals after 6 PM in those days). Nailed him on the right front fender/bumper which stopped the bike but sent me flying 30 feet through the air; after which I hit the street head first and was out cold. The car sped off leaving a couple of parts, me and my bike in theintersection. There was a witness, who was treated for shock because she thought I was dead. Amazingly I cameaway from the wreck with a few scratches on the helmet, a brused right ankle andno memory to this day of the accident - all I haveis a copy if the report they took with the witness descriptions. You would have thought that on a closed military baseall they would have done is close the base to traffic leaving the installation andsearch for the "white Datsun 4-door withdamage on the front right side." They didn't do a thing and I never heard apeep from the base security. I guess my point is, don't hold our breath unless you happen to be aFlag Officer or one of their family members - odds are not in you favor.

Old 03-03-2007 | 06:49 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

I can say for sure that if this had happened at any of the Marine bases I served on, there would have been a very scared person talking to either their SgtMaj or CO. If you make a report to the MPs, they have to forward it to the offenders unit, at least in the Corps. I'm not sure if the other services do the same, but I've been the receiving duty SNCO when one of these reports came in and the Sgt in question regretted his actions for a long time to follow.

Quick Reply: 'bout got wiped out today!!!