General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low warning light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM
TheDukester
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low warning light?

At what point does the light display? I know the book says one gallon remaining. On my computer readout on my instrument display it says I have 40 miles remaining in my tank. I am running it low on purpose to find out when the light comes on. Thanks...

Old 08-04-2013, 01:40 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have about 1 1/4 gallon left in the tank when the light comes on. The mileage left is inaccurate and goes down way too quick. When the light goes on, I know I have about 50 miles left and use the odometer. If I'm near a station, I get gas as soon as possible. I wouldn't want to get stuck in some sort of traffic jam with the light on.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:02 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Mine usually comes on at 38-40 miles. How much is in there is a mystery to me and will stay a mystery because I head to a gas station ASAP.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

This varies from bike to bike.

Best way to know your bike is to get gas as soon as the light comes on and see how much it takes, then you will know how much is left in the tank when the light comes on.

Do it a few times so you know what the average is.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-04-2013, 05:31 PM
TheDukester
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies

Old 08-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made it 10 miles on my sg a couple of years ago when i got the L. I simply rely on how may miles i average per gallon. I like to stay above 30 miles....

Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine comes on with around 38 to 41 miles left = about 1 gallon.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 miles when the counter gets down to just saying Lo is about right. The light itself usually comes on for me when its down to about 38 miles or so left. If you are using the idea someone else suggested of filling up after the light comes on and going from there keep in mind that you won't be able to use a certain amount of the fuel left in the tank so for range calculating the fuel left in the tank doesn't count. If that makes sense. For example the most I've ever been able to put in the bike is probably about 4.2 gallons. That's with the bike starting to sputter. So that means that almost a gallon was still left in the tank but the bike's fuel pickup couldn't get to it. Something to keep in mind with fuel injected bikes which don't have a reserve.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
10 miles when the counter gets down to just saying Lo is about right. The light itself usually comes on for me when its down to about 38 miles or so left. If you are using the idea someone else suggested of filling up after the light comes on and going from there keep in mind that you won't be able to use a certain amount of the fuel left in the tank so for range calculating the fuel left in the tank doesn't count. If that makes sense. For example the most I've ever been able to put in the bike is probably about 4.2 gallons. That's with the bike starting to sputter. So that means that almost a gallon was still left in the tank but the bike's fuel pickup couldn't get to it. Something to keep in mind with fuel injected bikes which don't have a reserve.
I think something must be wrong with your fuel pick up in the tank...or you are not filling it up all the way.

I have a bad habit of not liking to stop for gas. I can't count how many times I have been to the station and filled up and got within 1/10 of a gallon of total capacity on a fill-up.

I have had a few close calls where I filled up and got 100% of the tank capacity on the fill-up. (this has happened 3x times with my touring bike...6 gallon tank, and twice with my Sportster...3.3 gallon tank).

Old 08-05-2013, 05:55 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 07 has come on with as much as 1.9 gal's left but usually around 1.1. BTW, if you fill it with the bike running (Yeah, i know, I don't make a habit of it) the light doesn't go out like in your car. You have to turn the ignition off. I try to stay away from the light so the fuel pump stays completely submerged and doesn't heat up.

Quick Reply: Low warning light?