General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well i manned up for rain ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the coolest rides ever was 25 miles of riding in a light/medium rain fall in the mountains of Colorado last month around Monarch pass big thumbs up.

I loved it I wanted to turn around and go do it again didn't have gear on either that made it just perfect.

On the oher hand I hated the last 30 miles of the trip once we got back in Kansas and got in a massive toad floater gulley washer out of nowhere with no gear on. I hate wet feet and that oily road crap all over my bike yuck what a mess.

edi: Oh and congrats btw now you are completely crazy.

Last edited by Car Doc; 08-05-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by frozensoul
first three day weekend in months, most of the time its just sunday off. so I told myself when I got up Friday morn I was gona ride no matter what cause sat and sun suppose to storm bad. got up and put helmet on but before I could get out of the drive the skys opened up. mama was looking out the window with that look like ( are you really going? ) I said I was going no matter what so down I flipped the lid on the full face helmet and away I hammerd along. the temp was just right an I just feel great. was little more carefull cause roads were wet but I got to tell you folks it felt like the best ride of the year so far. road for about 2 hours. ran down by the arch in st Louis an back home. for a rainy day it was just awsome.
Good for you! I do it once in awhile just because there's nothin' that'll get the bugs out of all those nooks & crannies, like an hour or 2 in the rain! Then, go home & wipe it off, and get that showroom shine back on!

Old 08-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Doc
One of the coolest rides ever was 25 miles of riding in a light/medium rain fall in the mountains of Colorado last month around Monarch pass big thumbs up.

I loved it I wanted to turn around and go do it again didn't have gear on either that made it just perfect.
Yea got to agree, the best rain rides are in the mountains when you are riding in the clouds that are making the rain.
Rode through one in the Ozarks, it was a black cloud that hung over us for miles and went in and out of the rain and the cloud, simply beautiful.
When we stoped I comented how cool that was, the guy I was ridding with was miserable, thought I was kidding/crazy.
Yep got to be a little UN-normal to enjoy the rain.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I ride in the rain a lot, prob 50% of the time. And its hot here so wearing rain gear just means you sweat more. And using a 3/4 helmet with shield is helpful. But it is hard getting out of bed for a ride at 5am when its pissing down rain.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Car Doc
Road Master

Speaking about riding in rain...I am loaded up and headed for Sturgis tomorrow after work and it will be rain rain rain. We had 7 inches 2 days ago and have flooding all around and Wed supposed to let er rip again here in Kansas.

Anyway looks like SD is getting some too haha what fun its all about the ride gotta remember that!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Car Doc
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Yea got to agree, the best rain rides are in the mountains when you are riding in the clouds that are making the rain.
Rode through one in the Ozarks, it was a black cloud that hung over us for miles and went in and out of the rain and the cloud, simply beautiful.
When we stoped I comented how cool that was, the guy I was ridding with was miserable, thought I was kidding/crazy.
Yep got to be a little UN-normal to enjoy the rain.
Amen to that brother.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,183 Likes on 1,803 Posts

One of the coolest rain rides I've had in a while was this past Sunday. Wife hopped on the back and we left for an afternoon ride inland. Was a pretty nice day, had a chance of passing thundershower but didn't look like it. Suddenly I had a few strong gusts of headwind...and combining that...with the ominous look of the clouds up ahead moving in quickly, I had a feeling we were about to get soaked. Well within a few minutes...some drops..and then downpour..and then torrential downpour..like REALLY heavy, windy as hell, and light hail mixed in. Was pretty much a squall that came through the area fast. Pulled over..buncha other rides caught in it too along that road, hung out under a rock/tree overhang.

About 15 minutes later the clouds left..and the sun was back out, we hopped back on and started riding again. Was such a hot day, sun was so strong...that the pavement started steaming very heavily. Lots of water burning off rising up in the steam...made for a very surreal ride.

Had that ozone smell, plus that very fresh smell...was awesome going through the pine tree areas out in the country.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Having no car anymore, having no plans to buy one in a far future, my Sportster and my 1972 airhead are my only transportation modes.

So, when it pours, I ride...

Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 52,713 Likes on 18,474 Posts

The only issue I have with it are deep puddles or 6 inch deep running water.. We in Florida can get inches of rain quickly. I just sit in the bar longer until it passes.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:58 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soaked to the bone and boots full o'water. It don't get no better than that!

Quick Reply: well i manned up for rain ride