General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over today but it was a mistake.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013 | 09:43 PM
obidio
Road Captain

They were just bored and wanted to do something...

Old 08-06-2013 | 09:58 AM
Bartley1
Advanced

I got the cruiser coming my way, full batman U-turn, lights and siren last week. I pulled over and as the officer approached, I removed my helmet. As soon as he saw a full head of grey hair, he said "sorry, wrong guy". I asked him who he was after and got "young guy on a black Harley". Told him he was gonna have a long day if that's the only description he had.

Old 08-06-2013 | 10:47 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by R0UNDAB0UT
I think it’s a bit ridiculous that they always wanna know where you are going. What does that have to do with anything (especially since they conceded you were the wrong guy)...
I think it's in case you blurt out something like, "Why I'm on my to count up all the loot from the robbery what I did. Boy, sure is tough to get bloodstains off money, innit?" And then they've got a bank robber out of a simple Stop 'n Annoy through good ol' fashioned police work!

Originally Posted by dickey
Had a similar case of mistaken identity. Was getting of the Garden State Parkway in Union, NJ once & was surrounded by a number of copcars; guns drawn. Seems I was a dead ringer for a guy wanted for murder. I heard them calling headquarters & telling them how they would not believe the incredible resemblance between the real guy & myself.
Yeah, but it was you all along though wasn't it?...

Old 08-06-2013 | 06:37 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by R0UNDAB0UT
I think it’s a bit ridiculous that they always wanna know where you are going. What does that have to do with anything (especially since they conceded you were the wrong guy). Next time, inform him that since he is at work, you are going to his house to meet up with his wife in order to knock the cobwebs off of that thing....

If my destination has no bearing on why I am being stopped, I will inform the officer that were I am going is none of his business.

Old 08-06-2013 | 06:44 PM
1sicmofo
Tourer

Originally Posted by HyperM3
So I was on my way to work on my normal route. It's one single road pretty much all the way from my house to my job. It goes through a relatively small but very populated college town and then away from it. To get home I take almost the same road but one that is parallel because that has a right turn at the end and not a left(one less light to sit at).

As Im driving through the town I pass the first of two police stations on the road. I notice two cops in the opposite lane who turn into my lane a car behind me. About a mile further along the car behind me is gone and the two cops are now behind me. Another 1/4 of a mile and their lights go on.

I pull over and there are now 3 cop cars behind me with lights on. I turn off the bike and put my hazards on really feeling confused. One of the officers comes up to me and asks for my license and registration then tells me that an undercover officer saw me passing multiple cars on a double yellow road.

I responded with "thats not my style of riding/driving, and I wasnt even on that road". He asked how I got here and I said the same road all the way from my house. He looked confused for a bit.

Then the undercover officer rolled up along side and one of the other cops went up to his window. I could see the cop inside the car shaking his head. Then the cop who went up to the window said "yeah, this isnt the guy, but it looked like him to a "T"".

Officer who took my license and registration handed them back to me and then asked me where I was headed. I said to work and he asked where and I told him(hoping it would give me a little cred for next time they saw me(the owner of the place I work at donates to the police big time)).

The officer actually apologized and said it was a case of wrong place wrong time and to have a good day.

The thing is, I saw not one other bike on my ride today to work(I sometimes see one or two). And Ive never seen another bike that looked like mine(is any Harley exactly the same?).

So my question is, to a cop, do all motorcyclists look the same? Do we just blend in without any distinguishing characteristics? Is every black bike just another black bike?
Was it by the RT 1 circle? Did you get the officers name or badge number ? Just To let you know That Town Has The HIGHEST RATE FOR TICKETS IN NEW JERSEY !!!

Last edited by 1sicmofo; 08-06-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2013 | 07:24 PM
tcatnat
Road Master

Originally Posted by Falcon195

If my destination has no bearing on why I am being stopped, I will inform the officer that were I am going is none of his business.
And you are the exact reason why the cops treat people the way they do.

Old 08-06-2013 | 07:53 PM
acunn1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tcatnat
This is not **** Germany . We don't have to have travel papers to move around the country.

Old 08-06-2013 | 08:15 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by tcatnat
Yeah and your comment makes more sense after I noticed you live in NJ.
here in the Midwest we don't follow along like sheep. But you can do whatever you like as long as you don't bring your nonsense this way.

Old 08-06-2013 | 08:42 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member

At least he had the ***** to show where he's from

Old 08-06-2013 | 08:48 PM
tcatnat
Road Master

It's a shame it took knowing where I'm from to make sense of my comment. That explains a lot.

Quick Reply: Pulled over today but it was a mistake.