General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over today but it was a mistake.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013 | 11:24 AM
tcatnat
Road Master

Originally Posted by R0UNDAB0UT
I think it’s a bit ridiculous that they always wanna know where you are going. What does that have to do with anything (especially since they conceded you were the wrong guy). Next time, inform him that since he is at work, you are going to his house to meet up with his wife in order to knock the cobwebs off of that thing....
It's because they want to see if you're telling the truth. A few simple, quick succession questions can trip up a person who is lying or trying to hide something. This is standard procedure and if you have nothing to hide or did nothing wrong you should be thankful the cops ask these questions.

I find it funny how people bash the police and then wonder why they are slow to respond when needed. There are definitely good cops and bad cops like everything else but I've always been courteous when pulled over and 99% of the time have been offered the same in return. I've even thanked cops for the courtesy for only giving me a $50 failure to signal a lane change when I know I was pulled over for doing 60 in a 40.

Old 08-04-2013 | 11:39 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member

Is every black bike just another black bike?........YES

Old 08-04-2013 | 11:52 AM
45fan
Tourer

They are just guys doing a job. 99% of the people they deal with are lying to them and guilty as hell. I think anyone would get jaded by that after a time. I have had a couple dealings like this and treated them with respect and got it back. +1 on the CCW, generally that speeds up figuring out you are not a POS. Not that carrying a gun makes you a great guy, but to get the permit you have to be pretty clean.

Old 08-04-2013 | 12:00 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

When I was in my 20s, I went to El Paso, Tx for a rodeo. I used to ride bareback horses. I went to the local mall, police stopped me leaving the parking lot. It was full felony stop, roll down the windows toss keys out, open the door from the outside, hands on your head, walk backwards toward the car.
They had several out of state pickups stolen out of the parking lot that weekend. All they knew is it was Mexicans with cowboy hats stealing the pickups.
I am a Creek Indian from Oklahoma, not Mexican. I Asked in my very country accent if I could help them with something. They all laughed and asked what I was doing in El Paso. I did get an explanation and an apology from them.
I do not think I was profiled, but I met the description.

Old 08-04-2013 | 12:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Your bike's black, what do you expect. The white ones are the good ones..thought everyone knew that..and faster? HA

Old 08-04-2013 | 12:04 PM
GeorgiaGlide
Cruiser

Undercover cop? They used the driving as an excuse for a stop , likely the undercover lost the guy he was following who likely was involved in something maybe drugs. They just told you it was about driving.

Old 08-04-2013 | 05:24 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

To most anyone, we look alike but certain people who have the means in finding out who we are first, it shouldn't be a problem.

Interesting story...when I was in the club, I was stopped in the city where I lived, 5 times in 6 days. The on day I didn't was be a use I went the back roads. Once, the officer said, "If I had known that was you, I wouldn't have stopped you." And toward the 4-5 stop, he came back to me with my license and said, "You get stopped a lot don't you?"

I saw it as harassment but it went along with wearing a patch, so it was expected.

Old 08-05-2013 | 06:33 PM
mattkenzie
Road Master

Originally Posted by 45fan
They are just guys doing a job. 99% of the people they deal with are lying to them and guilty as hell.
99%? Do you actually believe that? Don't drink the flavor-aid.

Old 08-05-2013 | 08:08 PM
45fan
Tourer

Originally Posted by R0UNDAB0UT
99%? Do you actually believe that? Don't drink the flavor-aid.
Yup, at least in my part of the world. The cops here know most of the people they arrest and almost all of them auto fill the computer when they start putting in the persons info....meaning they are not new to the program. I asked a cop here not long ago how long it had been that he arrested someone that didn't and he couldn't remember one.

My meaning wasn't everyone they pull over for a traffic stop, but the people the have to "deal" with on a daily basis. Many places around the Country are book and release unless someone really hurts someone. A cop I know in St. Louis arrested the same Dude (3) times in one night!

I ain't drinking anything or smoking anything....don't believe me? Find a cop around where you live and ask.... it is really pretty messed up.

Old 08-05-2013 | 08:42 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by 45fan
Yup, at least in my part of the world. The cops here know most of the people they arrest and almost all of them auto fill the computer when they start putting in the persons info....meaning they are not new to the program. I asked a cop here not long ago how long it had been that he arrested someone that didn't and he couldn't remember one.

My meaning wasn't everyone they pull over for a traffic stop, but the people the have to "deal" with on a daily basis. Many places around the Country are book and release unless someone really hurts someone. A cop I know in St. Louis arrested the same Dude (3) times in one night!

I ain't drinking anything or smoking anything....don't believe me? Find a cop around where you live and ask.... it is really pretty messed up.
no need to ask a cop just go to county jail a few times. every time you get there you'll see most of the same people as last time you were there.

Quick Reply: Pulled over today but it was a mistake.