General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are cruisers "safer" than sport bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are cruisers "safer" than sport bikes?

I had to reply to this one-
I have about 12 years of riding and only the last 1/2 year is on a cruiser. Yes, sport bikes do tempt you to hammer it more so than a cuiser. Part of the reason I got the HD is beacuse being recently married to a woman who loves to ride with me I needed to change bikes. Not because we could not ride togeather on the ZRX but because I foud it to be boring to ride the ZRX slow. BUT-
The reason I picked the superglide is because the handling is still very entertaining, it has enough power to put a smile on my face, and it is comfy. The sport bikes will out handle and out stop 90% of the cruisers out there BUT-
One issue where cruisers have the upper hand. In a heavy cross wind or shen being passed by a tractor trailer the weight and low stance helps keep the bike tracking streight. The full fairings and light weight of sport bikes allow them to be blown all over the road easily.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Canedog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I read an article a couple of months ago stating that most of the deaths or accidents on motorcycles were of the ages of 35-50, so this includes myself and pretty much leaves out most of the "sport" bike crowd. If anyone cares to correct me on that number range feel free, it just stuck in my mind for some reason.

But I agree its not the bike, it is the mind set of the rider. I have (as we all have) very good and very bad of both crowds.

One thing the sport bike crowd doesn't do that touring bikers like myself are guilty of, we throw all the junk we can on the bike and ourself and head cross country. Well this changes the braking by a long shot and we never give it a second thought.

Dog

Old 03-05-2007, 08:02 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It is without a doubt the rider not the motorcycle.I love to ride fast and on a touring bike but never beyond what the motorcycle can handle,and or the road conditions.I personally am not into sport bikes.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Canedog

I think I read an article a couple of months ago stating that most of the deaths or accidents on motorcycles were of the ages of 35-50, so this includes myself and pretty much leaves out most of the "sport" bike crowd.
I saw evidence to the contrary this weekend, laying on I-35 with a sheet over him. It was a sport bike rider, trying to catch up to the rest of his group. He aparently was traveling at a high rate of speed andweaving in and out of traffic. Helost control and bounced off the guardrail. He was 33 years old. What surprised me was, that according to the newspaper report, he was not wearing a helmet.The majorityof the sport bike riders that I see around here wear helmets.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:45 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://moonrider.journalspace.com/?entryid=715

The above link is one of the better compilations of bike accident statistics that I've come across. It mixes other country's data with ours, interesting reading. Some of the things that stood out for me:

Bikers envolved in accidents often had accidents withing the past 5 years. (Apparantly many of us are justaccident prone)

Under 30 yr old drivers are more prown to accidents then older. (No surprise there)

We are more prone to an accident within the first 650 miles of driving or a new bike.

Graduates of driving schools are more accident prone. (Interesting, but I believe it)

Old 03-06-2007, 01:15 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

I think had to be more than the rider. The Collision part of my motorcycle insurance on my Softail Deluxe is $133 a year. On my Ducati it is $750 a year. The Ducati is a much cheaper bike and isn't really that fast.

Perhaps the sport bike just makes you less safe of a driver. You have all that speed, handling, and breaking power and you feel invincible Perhaps auto drivers are more intimidated by a Harley rider.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:33 PM
C.Jay
Tourer

My ZRX is much safer than my Harley, the question is, am I safer on my ZRX?
No, I ride like an idiot on my kaw, but I don't feel less safe, I think all of the roadracing I did in the 80's made me a better street rider. I ride calm and collected on my Harley.

It is the rider.