General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are cruisers "safer" than sport bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:31 PM
jbt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are cruisers "safer" than sport bikes?

ORIGINAL: LuckyRoadKing

I agree 100%, sport bikes are mechanically more safe then a cruiser. I used to race motorcycles professionally (28 years ago) and the bikes definitely had the ability to be safer. There is no way I could manuever or brake my RoadKing to avoid an accident they way I could on a sport bike. But, I ride my RoadKing much different because of it.

I am certain that if you look at the accicents causedBY amotorcycle, not a cager hitting a bike, you will find a higher rate caused by RIDERS on sport bikes. That is the RIDER, not the BIKE. I very seldom see someone on a cruiser dragging their knee on a twistie mountain road, but I do see this being done by wanna-be-racers on a sport bike every Sunday. And when was the last time you saw a guy on an UltraClassic leaving a stop light on one wheel???

ORIGINAL: hughtwg

I think that mechanically cruisers are less safe than sportbikes. The don't handle, brake, or accelerate as well. OTOH cruisers don't tempt you to travel at the speed of heat like sportbikes do, but that has less to do with the bikes performance than the riders actions.

-Hugh

This goes along with my thinking. Sportbikes seem to me to be crashed more oftenin solo wrecks, while cruisers seem to be involved with car-bike collisions. I believe this isbecause (generalization ahead!) many sportbikes are ridden very quickly on twisty 'rural' roads, while many cruisers tend to stay in town, well... cruising. In town, naturally, there are more oppurtunities for collisions, while out in the twisties it's a simple misjudgement in a fast turn that sends a bike over the guardrail.
again, just my opinion, but I think it's fairly sound.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:46 PM
athletesfeet
Tourer

I also agree with everyone. In most cases, it's the rider not the bike.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 PM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jbt

ORIGINAL: LuckyRoadKing

I agree 100%, sport bikes are mechanically more safe then a cruiser. I used to race motorcycles professionally (28 years ago) and the bikes definitely had the ability to be safer. There is no way I could manuever or brake my RoadKing to avoid an accident they way I could on a sport bike. But, I ride my RoadKing much different because of it.

I am certain that if you look at the accicents causedBY amotorcycle, not a cager hitting a bike, you will find a higher rate caused by RIDERS on sport bikes. That is the RIDER, not the BIKE. I very seldom see someone on a cruiser dragging their knee on a twistie mountain road, but I do see this being done by wanna-be-racers on a sport bike every Sunday. And when was the last time you saw a guy on an UltraClassic leaving a stop light on one wheel???

ORIGINAL: hughtwg

I think that mechanically cruisers are less safe than sportbikes. The don't handle, brake, or accelerate as well. OTOH cruisers don't tempt you to travel at the speed of heat like sportbikes do, but that has less to do with the bikes performance than the riders actions.

-Hugh

This goes along with my thinking. Sportbikes seem to me to be crashed more oftenin solo wrecks, while cruisers seem to be involved with car-bike collisions. I believe this isbecause (generalization ahead!) many sportbikes are ridden very quickly on twisty 'rural' roads, while many cruisers tend to stay in town, well... cruising. In town, naturally, there are more oppurtunities for collisions, while out in the twisties it's a simple misjudgement in a fast turn that sends a bike over the guardrail.
again, just my opinion, but I think it's fairly sound.
i goot say, that's one mean looking train ya got there jeff! sweet!

Old 03-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Spree
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

Exactly. You could use statistics to prove that sportbikes are more dangerous that cruisers, if all you did was include the type of motorcycles involved in accidents.

If you do your analysis correctly tho, and include the sex, age, and experience level of the rider however, I would be the results would still show that more sportbikes are involved in accidents, than cruisers.

Here is a real world example: In the past 4 yrs, I have worked 3 fatality motorcycle wrecks. Two were sportbikes, one was a Harley. Does that mean that you are twice as likely to die on a sportbike as you are on a Harley?

Add to the statistical info: Of those three fatals:

One rider was inexperienced, unhelmeted, ,andonly owned his CBR900RR for exactly thirty days before blowing a red light at 60+ and hitting the side of a pickup.

The second had about 3 yrs experience, but rode unhelmeted, and drove like a moron. He crashed, when while riding a wheelie, the bike ahead of him braked, to turn left.

The third (the HD rider) was unhelmeted, ,and drunk, when he hit a curb, going over the bars, and splitting his head open.

So...using THOSE stats, if you ride unhelmeted, and are in a wreck, you will die.

You can skew stats to make em say whatever you want them to.

So what you're saying is....be smart, and you'll be fine on anything.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
hughtwg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Spree
Excellent input. However all things being equal, in terms of a biker's interaction with cagers...can a cruiser not be thought of as "safer" in the sense that they're much more noticable? A Harley's exhaust note notifies motorists when and where the rider is pretty much at all times, whereas a sportbike is smaller, much quieter and more conspicuous.

Is that not something to consider?
There are plenty of loud sportbikes, though not many running straight pipes. If both bikes had stock pipes there shouldn't be much difference in the sound level. With most of the noise coming out of the back of the bike and the primary cause of two vehicle accidents being a cage turning left in front of the motorcycle I think the loud pipes argument is probably blown out of proportion.

As far as being seen sporbikes are taller and often are more brightly colored than cruisers so I don't think the size difference would make much difference.

I've done some searching on google but I haven't found any statistics on bike type involved in accidents. Here is some quick reading on fatal accident statistics from 1997-2003:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...FatsUpdate.pdf

-Hugh

Old 03-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

This says it all.

ORIGINAL: anubisss
....the maturity of the rider and their ability to keep from going too fast, or riding beyond their abilities.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:54 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

The loose nut on the handlebars and dumbass drivers oblivious to their surroundings cause accidents. Does not matter what mode of transportation it is.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:26 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not the type of bike as much as the rider.Safer ????? More comfortable????? YES!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:36 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spree

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

Exactly. You could use statistics to prove that sportbikes are more dangerous that cruisers, if all you did was include the type of motorcycles involved in accidents.

If you do your analysis correctly tho, and include the sex, age, and experience level of the rider however, I would be the results would still show that more sportbikes are involved in accidents, than cruisers.

Here is a real world example: In the past 4 yrs, I have worked 3 fatality motorcycle wrecks. Two were sportbikes, one was a Harley. Does that mean that you are twice as likely to die on a sportbike as you are on a Harley?

Add to the statistical info: Of those three fatals:

One rider was inexperienced, unhelmeted, ,andonly owned his CBR900RR for exactly thirty days before blowing a red light at 60+ and hitting the side of a pickup.

The second had about 3 yrs experience, but rode unhelmeted, and drove like a moron. He crashed, when while riding a wheelie, the bike ahead of him braked, to turn left.

The third (the HD rider) was unhelmeted, ,and drunk, when he hit a curb, going over the bars, and splitting his head open.

So...using THOSE stats, if you ride unhelmeted, and are in a wreck, you will die.

You can skew stats to make em say whatever you want them to.

So what you're saying is....be smart, and you'll be fine on anything.

I hear a BINGO !!!!!

More accurately....be smart, and you will be as safe as the closest idiot allows you to be.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:48 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss
....the maturity of the rider and their ability to keep from going too fast, or riding beyond their abilities.
been a long time comingbut I finally agree with anubisss 100%

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/DDC7B581F2ED47D89E9A078FA574B943.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Are cruisers "safer" than sport bikes?