General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading drag bars in for more comfort. Any sugestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I had pull backs with 12" risers on my Panhead. Seeing them, brought back memories. If I thought I could do it, without a lot of trouble with the cables, I'd like to have 4-6" risers and drag bars, seeing as how I basically have drag bars now but no risers.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:23 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Buck Horns or mini apes. I favor the Buck Horns.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 AM
GMCC Mad Dog
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have the standard buckhorn bars on my '94 FXSTC. No comfort issues at all, good for an easy 200 miles - no problem.

Just considering changing them to a pair of LA Choppers T Bars.

(Yes, I just fancied a change after 19 years)

Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey slammed; The bars measure 28" outside to outside on the grips, and to the bend from the top tripple tree including the 4-1/2" risers it is 12". As far as where the bars are adjusted in the mount it is personal preference. I am 6' 1" and have fairly long arms, so I have mine set about like they are in the picture of the 87 I sent. WIth my hands on the grips my thumbs knuckles are 7" above the tank. I can see where people with shorter arms or a different seat might like mini apes better. That may be the difference of why some like one better than the other.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Hey steroguy; I think that is where I learned to love them. My 84 Iron Head Sporty had them from new and I always liked them. Rode that bike for 23 years. Lots of fun.

Yeah Slammed; That Pillow king queen seat is the most comfortable seat Harley ever made in my opinion, at least for the Softails. I do have another seat off of a Heritage Springer, but it rarely gets put on. The passenger part is a little wider and my wife likes it better.
I will try to get them measured today after work. The main thing is to sit on iyour bike and adjust them till the height and reach is natural with you and your shoulder width. Get them to fit you. We took these out to my bike and the guy held them on the risers and I had a pretty good idea of how they were going to fit before I bought them. My previous bike had buckhorns also.

While sitting in a chair put your arms out and see what angle your hands are at normally with your elbows down and hands and arms reaching out like you are reaching for the bars, apes put your elbows up a little.

Keeping your wrists at a natural position is key to keeping from going as numb. The other, we are all getting older and have some degree of carpal tunnel.

Jim

Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by skyflyer
I ride a sporster that came with buckhorns, I like the look and height but the angle was very uncomfortable. They forced my wrist to stay in a bent position.

I switched to Mini apes and found it to be a perfect fit.

Whose bars are the mini apes? Been looking to change out my stock bars and like the looks of yours.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Hey slammed; The bars measure 28" outside to outside on the grips, and to the bend from the top tripple tree including the 4-1/2" risers it is 12". As far as where the bars are adjusted in the mount it is personal preference. I am 6' 1" and have fairly long arms, so I have mine set about like they are in the picture of the 87 I sent. WIth my hands on the grips my thumbs knuckles are 7" above the tank. I can see where people with shorter arms or a different seat might like mini apes better. That may be the difference of why some like one better than the other.
Thanks for the measurements Jim. It sounds like your bars have about an 8" rise. Do you know if they were the stock bars? I guess the only way to know what I'm going to like for sure is to put them on my scoot and see how they feel. I just need to decide on what rise and pull back to get.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

My bars are Harley 56079-93t

Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 1986 FXSTC still has the stock buck horn bars. Never felt the need to change out a perfect riding position for me.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
My 1986 FXSTC still has the stock buck horn bars. Never felt the need to change out a perfect riding position for me.
Well, decision made, I'm going to the buckhorns, if they don't feel good, then maybe I'll try mini apes. After putting the pillow seat back on, I remembered how comfortable that bike used to be. So, I'll try the stock set up and see how it works for me now. I want to thank every body for their input. It made my decision, much easier!

Kowan, what's the pullback on your bars, can you shoot me a good pic of the set up?

Quick Reply: Trading drag bars in for more comfort. Any sugestions?