General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading drag bars in for more comfort. Any sugestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Here is a picture of an 87 Standard with buckhorns. I like the looks of them too. I have the stock pillow look seat also that came on the Customs which is a great seat. It will take out the bumps that the suspension doesn't.
Hey, Jim, I took your advise and put the pillow seat back on the bike. Found one at the local Indy yesterday. As soon as I sat on it I remembered how comfortable that bike was when I first saw it at the dealer 27 years ago. Thanks for the good advise!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Agree with the buckhorns. I've sat on a few bikes with them and they seem very comfortable. I have 8" pullback risers on my bike in combination with the stock drag bar and it's very comfortable, but I'm planning one day to switch to the buckhorns if my cables will reach.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by magnum629c
Go to a bike night in town if u see a bike like yours with different bars asked the owner and see what u like.. Most guys are more then happy to help
Magnum, that's not a bad idea. Of-course with buckhorns, I may be hard pressed to find a set, not many people run them these days. Also, sitting on a bike for a few minuets and riding it for 3-4 hours straight are a little different.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 PM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

A local independant had mine on the shelf when I got them for my Sporty.

Last edited by stereoguy; 07-30-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey steroguy; I think that is where I learned to love them. My 84 Iron Head Sporty had them from new and I always liked them. Rode that bike for 23 years. Lots of fun.

Yeah Slammed; That Pillow king queen seat is the most comfortable seat Harley ever made in my opinion, at least for the Softails. I do have another seat off of a Heritage Springer, but it rarely gets put on. The passenger part is a little wider and my wife likes it better.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

I ride a sporster that came with buckhorns, I like the look and height but the angle was very uncomfortable. They forced my wrist to stay in a bent position.

I switched to Mini apes and found it to be a perfect fit.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Stereoguy; nice lookin sporty. can you tell me the width and pullback on those bars of yours? Whats the longest time you spent in the saddle? Any issues with hand numbness?

Skyflyer; Thanks for the pics, I can see where the mini apes look more comfortable. How did you have your buckhorns mounted, straight-up like apes or pulled backed?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
All of the Softail Standards and Customs came out with Buckhorns up through 99. I am 72 years old with back problems and I can ride well over 200 miles with them no problem. If adjusted right, when you put you hands out with your eyes shut they will grab the bars naturally and your wrists will not be at an angle. To me they are the most comfortable at least on our bikes. They also had 4-1/2" pull back risers stock.
Jim, I looked at your pics the other day, I couldn't tell for sure if they were buck's or mini apes. Can you do me a huge favor and measure your bars for me? Since we have the same ride it might give me an idea where to start if I choose to go with buckhorns.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 PM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

[quote
Skyflyer; Thanks for the pics, I can see where the mini apes look more comfortable. How did you have your buckhorns mounted, straight-up like apes or pulled backed?[/quote]

I tried pushed forward and pulled back towards me, I just couldnt seem to find the sweet spot.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:38 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Mini apes for me. Buckhorns feel weird to me. And someone mentioned the stock pillow seat. The stock seat on my Softail Custom is the most comfortable seat I ever rode on....and that includes a few aftermarket seats.

Quick Reply: Trading drag bars in for more comfort. Any sugestions?