General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential sad realization...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:03 PM
I'maHugger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential sad realization...

Prior to my Sporty I most recently rode a Maxi-scooter (Honda Helix); and had no physical issues with riding, yet after 30 miles or more on the Sporty I have noticed that the next day my lower back routinely is junked and requires chiropractic care- see old high school wrestling injury. The shocks are good and I am fearing it has more to do with the straddling position of the bike causing a problem whereas the step through of the scooter did not...I am feeling bummed and saddened.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok so before the bashers jump in I'll give some advice. I have back and hip issues, something about 21 yrs in the Army as a Helicopter Pilot and Paratrooper. I have had to change my seat and controls, including handlebars to find a comfortable position. I have currently have 6 different motorcycles and have made adjustments to them all. Point is you don't have to accept the factory setup, all are adjustable, seats, bars controls and such. Good Luck...

Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM
I'maHugger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not leaned forward on my bike, as I know an aggressive stance can cause that...do have forward controls though...

Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I'maHugger
I'm not leaned forward on my bike, as I know an aggressive stance can cause that...do have forward controls though...
I can't do forward controls. On my Electra Glide its not an issue, floorboards rule for foot position. When I bought the Sporty I put on Mids. You may check eBay for a set of Mid Controls, they are not expensive at all. A little taller and wider handlebars may help to get you in a more upright and comfortable position. I added a set that were 2" taller and 2" wider and after playing with fore and aft position it changed the entire bike.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by AtkRWC
Ok so before the bashers jump in I'll give some advice. I have back and hip issues, something about 21 yrs in the Army as a Helicopter Pilot and Paratrooper. I have had to change my seat and controls, including handlebars to find a comfortable position. I have currently have 6 different motorcycles and have made adjustments to them all. Point is you don't have to accept the factory setup, all are adjustable, seats, bars controls and such. Good Luck...
Exactly- it's more about good ergonomics than shock-

Gel pads, high risers, narrow bars, peg adjustments.

Pelvic alignment is a major factor too..

http://chadwaterbury.com/align-your-...o-reduce-pain/

Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my Sportster, my knees and elbows were the shock absorbers meaning I learned to pick my butt off the seat with almost every bump. Sporsters are rough riding bikes and it's possible it's irritating your back if the road vibrations are going through your spine.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I agree with adjusting your riding position. Many ways to do it, keep trying and I'm betting you will find a comfortable position.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Ask Your Chiropractor

Why not have your chiropractor show you how you should be seated and then change out seat, bars, controls or what ever to fit you? I bought my Road King KNOWING that I would have to change out the bars and seat. If you wanna ride it would be worth a shot!

Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

A different seat on my sporties helped, and I put mids on one of them last year; that's definitely easier on me, want to do that to the other one, too (and it handles better). Feels good to stretch out, too, but puts a strain on my lower back after a while, especially on a naked bike (both are). I still like to have highway pegs in front, just not for full time riding.

I still have a Helix, just might be the most comfortable thing on two wheels I've ever ridden. Never gone far on it, but have thought of taking a day trip with it just to compare it to my Tour Glide (which is way more comfortable than my sporties). One of these days I may find a small side car for the Helix; that I could probably ride long past my motorcycle days. At 66, I think about things like that.

Think about the shape of your spine on your sportster; is it a forward curve from your tailbone to your neck? That's so typical of a cruiser rider, and it's a lower back killer. Your spine should have a gentle S curve, with the indentation in your lower back, even sitting on your bike. With the right bars, seat, and peg position, you can get that good shape, and it'll feel better in the long run. Might not look as cool, but feels better the next day. And hopefully you won't have three years when you can't ride at all, like I did...

Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM
DM1975
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah man, I have degenerative disk disease and a few bad disks, a shoulder that has been ripped out of socket and a few other small issues. Once you find your right riding stance you will be good. I even have a buddy that has two fake hips from nitrogen poisoning and once he found what was good for him he has little issue at all. When I had my sportster it tore me up. I got the wide glide and the same thing. I raised my handlebars a few inches and put on a bigger rear pillion (i think it supports my hips better or something) and bam, no more problems.

Quick Reply: Potential sad realization...