General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential sad realization...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I'maHugger
Prior to my Sporty I most recently rode a Maxi-scooter (Honda Helix); and had no physical issues with riding, yet after 30 miles or more on the Sporty I have noticed that the next day my lower back routinely is junked and requires chiropractic care- see old high school wrestling injury. The shocks are good and I am fearing it has more to do with the straddling position of the bike causing a problem whereas the step through of the scooter did not...I am feeling bummed and saddened.
Which sporty do you have? Like a lot of people said, there's some inexpensive and rather expensive ways to help adjust. The dark custom bikes (nightster, iron, 48) have a little bit stiffer suspension than some of the other models due to their low profile suspension. The Low may be in the same category. Overall the sporties by design are a little stiffer than some of the other HDs. I could put a few hundred miles on my nightster in a day but my back would be a little stiff the next day.

I'd start with bars and seat like many have said. Bar position and a good seat go a long way. On my slim, the mustang seat is definitely more comfortable than the stock.

If that doesn't go well than you can change out shocks. Most the sporty guys like the progressives. With the sporties, you can only go so far with getting them not-so-stiff. That's why their sporties, for performance you need a little stiffer suspension.

If that doesn't work then you may have to look at a different bike. I could ride my slim all week without so much as a pinch in my back. You'll find that some bikes are naturally just better fitted to you.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 AM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Sporty hurt my back also, went with progressive shocks and a upgraded seat made ALL the difference. I had forward controls and hwy way pegs also.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the mods suggested are all good ideas but having a sporty will limit you in what you can achieve as far as comfort compared to the bigger bikes. I have herniated disks in my lower back and the best mod I ever did to my roadking was to get a backrest. I realize that may not be what you want to do to a sporty, but it hasn't been mentioned yet and thought I'd throw it out there. good luck.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM
I'maHugger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the informative and helpful advice! I think that my back issue, a sacrum displacement that rears it's ugly head ever so often; and more so since the Sportster is only going to be helped by a more ergo friendly and matched bike...the fact that my 2001 is rigid mounted doesn't help matters I am sure.
I'll investigate options and solutions; anyone want a well-loved sporty?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 738 Posts

You could always try a back brace. Walmart sells them for under $20.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:48 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
You could always try a back brace. Walmart sells them for under $20.
If it's his sacrum I don't think a back brace is going to help. Maybe a gel seat or maybe a more forward riding position. I liked the idea that another poster had of trying to mirror your riding position on your scooter.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 PM
I'maHugger
Tourer

I am going to switch the forwards to mids and look at a different seat.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Xube
Road Warrior

I think the responses on this thread have reflected the best of the HDF. Good going, bros!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Mostly good suggestions. I would also suggest (I haven't seen it suggested yet), a rider's backrest when you change seats. Fitted properly, it'll force your back into proper posture. And, don't ride with your wallet in your back pocket. You'd be surprised the pain that can cause in your hips, back, and knees, after a few hours.