General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential sad realization...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,819 Likes on 543 Posts

Are you running the stock suspension??

Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

If you have a stock seat, thats probably part of the problem. I had a sporty that had the stock seat and went on a 4 day 850 mile trip and by the 3rd day my back and backside felt like they were on fire it hurt so bad. I ended up finding a good deal on a slightly used mustang seat on craigslist and it made a world of difference.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Ask your doctor and chiropractor what they recommend. They migh tell you to get a back brace.

I was having shoulder problems until I realized my arms were pretty straight and I was leaning on them, like doing a push-up. I started relaxing and bending my arms and the pain has gone, where I used to hurt after 30 min. into my ride.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:04 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 421 Likes on 191 Posts

WTF? a dozen posts and no bashers yet? I'm disappointed. I thought at least one person would point out that the OP went from a scooter (literally) to a chicks bike, and he's sore.....but noooo.... y'all had to let that slide and give real advice. I need a beer.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ice
WTF? a dozen posts and no bashers yet? I'm disappointed. I thought at least one person would point out that the OP went from a scooter (literally) to a chicks bike, and he's sore.....but noooo.... y'all had to let that slide and give real advice. I need a beer.
and he is a "hugger"...here...this might give you a better chance at less back problems...the Italians have perfected proper riding posture..

Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,037 Likes on 775 Posts

This is a site that may help. You can compare your position on your scooter to the one on your new bike and maybe make adjustments from there.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Old 07-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had 45% of two vertabrae and one disc removed and have no issues with my Softail.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 AM
baimo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
I had 45% of two vertabrae and one disc removed and have no issues with my Softail.
I have had similar surgeries and my softail is definitely more comfortable than a sportster, but I do think he can change the setup and make it more comfortable. I really do not like apes but had to put mini apes on my softail to achieve desired position.

I even have a sportbike that I was able to put the right seat and handlebars on so I can zip around without pain.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Harley-Davidson Parts & Accessories catalogue!

Pretty much every single component of your bike can be swapped out for any one of dozens of alternatives. You are absolutely guaranteed to find a combination that will alleviate your back/butt/wrist/knee/whatever pain.

You will then only have to worry about the pain in your wallet.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had sporty, my knees and back would hurt too. Find something that fits your body better.
Originally Posted by I'maHugger
Prior to my Sporty I most recently rode a Maxi-scooter (Honda Helix); and had no physical issues with riding, yet after 30 miles or more on the Sporty I have noticed that the next day my lower back routinely is junked and requires chiropractic care- see old high school wrestling injury. The shocks are good and I am fearing it has more to do with the straddling position of the bike causing a problem whereas the step through of the scooter did not...I am feeling bummed and saddened.

Quick Reply: Potential sad realization...