General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceptable size oil dripping/puddling

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013 | 12:48 PM
Jamz
|
Cruiser
Default Acceptable size oil dripping/puddling

Ok HD Folks,

I just changed out my 20W/50 to straight 60W.

With the 20W/50 oil was weeping from just about everywhere it seemed.

The bike still leaks a bit with the 60W, but, not from everywhere and it drips in three different areas under the bike.

If left sitting overnight, it will create a small area of oil, which can be considered a small puddle of oil.

My question is, how much oil do these older 70's Harleys typically leak?

A few Harley guys told me that the old 70's bikes leaked even when brand new, and there were gauges that police officers would use to see if your bike sat parked and fell outside of the acceptable puddle size.

I just want to know if I should be trying to stop all leaks, or if it is even possible to stop all leaks, and I should just ride and enjoy the bike as it is (with minor leaking which is normal for the 70's bikes)

Thanks in advance everyone~

Old 07-29-2013 | 01:12 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

My experience with shovels is that they leak around the primary. Mine mostly leaked because I switched out he cover to after market.
I went to open belt and put that issue to rest.
Since you said it's leaking from three different areas "under the bike" i suspect it's the primary. Easy enough to replace but they still leak.

Shovels will get minor (MINOR) leaks around the push rod covers but that should be about it. Base gaskets will get minor seepage as well but not puddles.
Sounds like you need to go through it this winter and replace your gaskets.

If it were me, I would ride it through the summer and fix the leaks this winter.. Shovels leak but shouldn't be leaving puddles of oil in their wake, just empty wallets

Old 07-29-2013 | 01:37 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

My shovel will leak a few drops inbetween rides, the longer it sits, the more it leaks. The main seal at the crankshaft is the problem. I'm not tearing into it for the little bit it leaks. Other than that one place, I'm pretty well leak free.

The ironhead might leak a drop once in a while. The breather underneath will blow mist out and it accumulates and eventually drips.

Keep in mind that 70s era bikes were designed to leak. The bottom ends are vented to atmosphere and they have automatic chain oilers. Plus the fact that those bikes are getting pretty old and stuff dries out and leaks. Heck, I leak a little myself every now and then.

The secret is to ride it. They like to be ridden often. It keeps the seals wet and swelled out and goes a long way to preventing leaks.

If I had a leak that turned into even a small puddle overnight, I would be fixing it. I don't consider that acceptable.

Carl

Old 07-29-2013 | 01:46 PM
Jamz
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Keep in mind that 70s era bikes were designed to leak. The bottom ends are vented to atmosphere and they have automatic chain oilers. Plus the fact that those bikes are getting pretty old and stuff dries out and leaks. Heck, I leak a little myself every now and then.

The secret is to ride it. They like to be ridden often. It keeps the seals wet and swelled out and goes a long way to preventing leaks.

Carl
TMI on 'your' leaks hahaha... I will make sure to ride the HD every chance I get this week... and see if that helps with slowing the leaks down.

I am now addicted to the ride & rumble of the HD - I will now be owning a HD from here on.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Old 07-29-2013 | 01:53 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

The real problems begin when the leaking stops.

Old 07-29-2013 | 02:43 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow!

Would this be a case of Profiling.

LMAO

They used to say "if it ain't leaking, it's out of oil"

Old 07-29-2013 | 03:19 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain

Had a '71 and '73 .Put 60k total miles and the only leaks were from the chain oilers ,inspite of turning them off. Of course these bikes were new then. If I still had them now who knows what wwould be leaking.

Old 07-29-2013 | 04:53 PM
SD lumpy
Tourer

like most of the guys posted the old iron heads where made to leak look under you ride most of the problem is the chain oiler put some good long rides on the old girl and get the gaskets wet. 2nd Harleys dont leak oil they mark there spot

Old 07-29-2013 | 04:58 PM
ringofld
Tourer

Originally Posted by carlgrover
My shovel will leak a few drops inbetween rides, the longer it sits, the more it leaks. The main seal at the crankshaft is the problem. I'm not tearing into it for the little bit it leaks. Other than that one place, I'm pretty well leak free.

The ironhead might leak a drop once in a while. The breather underneath will blow mist out and it accumulates and eventually drips.

If I had a leak that turned into even a small puddle overnight, I would be fixing it. I don't consider that acceptable.

Carl
Ohhhhh lawdy lawdy.
My doc tole me to do them there excersises to fix my leaking!
8)

Old 07-29-2013 | 05:02 PM
Jamz
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Wow!

Would this be a case of Profiling.

LMAO

They used to say "if it ain't leaking, it's out of oil"

haha... I like it!

Quick Reply: Acceptable size oil dripping/puddling