General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceptable size oil dripping/puddling

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013 | 05:03 PM
Jamz
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rideflhr
Had a '71 and '73 .Put 60k total miles and the only leaks were from the chain oilers ,inspite of turning them off. Of course these bikes were new then. If I still had them now who knows what wwould be leaking.
How do you turn the chain oilers off?

Old 07-29-2013 | 05:33 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

You got a problem that needs attention. FYI, Gaskets of today are better than the old gaskets, but your bike will still develop leaks over time. On shovels, the base gaskets are notorious. My old shovel had the base gaskets replaced a couple of times and other than that, and a derby cover leak or two, it never left a mark. If yours is leaving a mark or a puddle, it's leaking period and should be fixed. They didn't leak when new and shouldn't leak now. The chain oiler is another story. That always drips. It was designed to because it does exactly what it's name suggests. Get ready to have splatter on the back of whatever shirt you ride in.

Old 07-29-2013 | 07:02 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Where's it leaking from is what you should be looking for not asking about how much . Wet primary will seep , can't seal them period . Tranny may leak from a few places usually the mainshaft seal & bushing are gone , kicker arm bushing are the next big culprit , the drain plug and some drip a bit around the mounting studs .

Engine leaks are usually rocker box gaskets , base gaskets , the oring on the rocker arm caps and pushrod tubes are the most common . You can also bet your oil lines are dripping a bit too .

Clean her with some simple green & the garden hose and find out where it's all coming from and post back for how to fix what .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 07-29-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2013 | 07:19 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

You old time Harley riders should park you bikes next to old British bikes, then you wouldn't feel bad. Even the fork seals leaked on old Triumphs.

Old 07-30-2013 | 12:39 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jamz
They were adjustable.

Old 07-30-2013 | 01:31 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member

Like TwisTed said, find out WHERE it's leaking from. I wouldn't (and don't) get exited over the primary leakage. Hell, it's rare to see one NOT leaking there. Anything more than a slight weep on the top end I'd be replacing the gaskets.
Nothing sounds or feels like a Shovelhead.

Old 07-30-2013 | 01:38 PM
firefighter616
Club Member

Originally Posted by Jamz
screw near/on oil pump..Don't go hogging it down!!!!!

Old 07-30-2013 | 02:47 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by firefighter616
screw near/on oil pump..Don't go hogging it down!!!!!
Correct, it's supposed to "drip" on the chain in order to oil it. Seems like a leak but it's not. Thats the way they were back then.

Old 07-30-2013 | 06:02 PM
Jamz
|
Cruiser

Seems quite logical, but, I'll ask anyway.

If I put on a new chain that doesn't require oiling, then I can just shut that oil off without having any worries about chain sprocket damage, correct?

If so, which type of chain would you all recommend?

Remember, I am new to Harley's, have been reading and reviewing posts on multiple sites and threads, however, asking seems to always aid in finding the right parts

Old 07-30-2013 | 06:55 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Chain's need lube don't buy into the hype they don't , you don't have the constant drip going on with a good oring chain . My personal choice is a high end Tsubaki Oring chain , costs but with proper care you can get 20,000 miles outa one . Diamond products are about useless the last 10 yrs don't waste the money on them .

Quick Reply: Acceptable size oil dripping/puddling