General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
Just wanted to jump in here and say "thanks" to all who have posted tips and pointers on the rally. My wife and I are first-timers this year and I've been reading every post I can find. We're riding from Ohio, and this is our retirement gift to ourselves. It took a lot of saving and a long time waiting but this is our year. Thanks again to all.
Respects,
ed
Big thanks from me as well. Love this forum and appreciate the help. Enjoy your trip Ed.

Originally Posted by dgb
I'm riding a Black Limited also! See you there, we should be there the evening of 8/3. Ride safe
I'm leaving Colorado Springs on the 8th and will arrive in Custer that day.

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Hi, Ed and Pete, Alan here. I've been going to the Hills since the early 70's. Custer is a great place to stay, and close enough to everything. Bear in mind that the entire Black Hills are only about 50 miles wide and 150 miles long, and every road is a scenic drive. A great place to get a drink and food is the Custer (either VFW or American Legion....I can't remember which it is) on one end of main street. They don't raise their prices, serve great outdoor food at reasonable prices in the lot next to their building. Look for the military mural on the side of a building...you can't miss it!

You will be close to Crazy Horse monument (you can spend half a day there going through the huge museum), Custer National Park to see the buffalo, Mt. Rushmore. Be sure and ride Iron Mountain Road. You go through tunnels that frame Mt. Rushmore, and ride wooden corkscrew bridges. Be sure to spend one evening in each of the neighboring towns like Hill City and Keystone, and just watch the bikes go by.

Take the scenic ride west over to Newcastle Wyoming, go north to Devil's Tower, then over to Spearfish and ride Spearfish Canyon, one of the most scenic drives in America.

Have a great time! Here's a picture of some street art in Custer!
I'll be looking for the American Legion and will do the Hill City and Keystone thing. Thanks for all the tips

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Avoid parking adjacent to One Eyed Jacks in Sturgis. The kitchen fans blow the kitchen grease up in the air and it will fall on the bikes around the joint, just one of those things that they can't control. When we went there we stayed at the KOA campground in Hill City, the lodge and cabins have full amenities. Enjoy your trip.
Keeping the bike away from One Eyed Jacks! Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
I prefer to stay in the area near Custer also... more into riding and seeing the sights than hanging out in the traffic and madness of Sturgis...
My group is staying in Custer also -- rented a house for the week. Personally, I'll probably only go into Sturgis once or twice, too many great roads to waste time in town.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PPBART
My group is staying in Custer also -- rented a house for the week. Personally, I'll probably only go into Sturgis once or twice, too many great roads to waste time in town.
Riding solo and my first time there and although i dont care for crowds at all, i'm looking forward to this experience. Got the 9-10-11 to check sturgis out and figure that ought to do me. Then I'll ride the area till the 16th, giving me plenty of time to let it all soak in.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 AM
mike lhc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to Sturgis in 2010. The city is nice for a 1/2day or a late night party people watching scene. ALOT of the same vendors from other rallies pushing shirts and misc. items. Riding in Sturgis traffic CAN BE A BITCH and not much fun. The rides all around the city and state were GREAT. One thing I did do to cut the traffic down to a minimum was cut through the city park your bike might get a little dirty but to be out of town in 5 minutes well worth it.
Have fun, Ride safe and post pics!

Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going for the first time this year, leaving on the 31st from Texas and staying at a camp ground in Sturgis. Ride N Rest.
I prefer to do more riding than sitting around and since I wake up early I'll hit the road early as well.

The whole Custer idea makes sense, hang out in the riding area and make trips to Sturgis.

Cant wait, excited about going.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,697 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Try the old Hill City to Keystone Road. A slower, scenic ride along the route of the 1880 train.
Another road I'd recommend is the N Playhouse Road form Iron Mt Rd to Keystone or the opposite direction.

A place we like in Custer is the Dark Horse Steak and Brew, it's above the Cattlemans on the south side of 385. Reasonable prices and good food. In the reviews it looks like some folks have poor service be we haven't in 3 visits.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:48 AM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm staying in Spearfish...the key to great trip for you is to drop off a cooler of ice cold beer for me.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by EP50
I'm staying in Spearfish...the key to great trip for you is to drop off a cooler of ice cold beer for me.
Funny thing you say that....just bought a small cooler for my tourpack. I'll look out for Archie Bunker on my travel's.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rizzo
Try the old Hill City to Keystone Road. A slower, scenic ride along the route of the 1880 train.
Another road I'd recommend is the N Playhouse Road form Iron Mt Rd to Keystone or the opposite direction.

A place we like in Custer is the Dark Horse Steak and Brew, it's above the Cattlemans on the south side of 385. Reasonable prices and good food. In the reviews it looks like some folks have poor service be we haven't in 3 visits.
Good to know! Definitely will dine there. I'm there from the 8-16. Pretty sure i'll eat my way through every restaurant/pizza joint/subway shop in little Custer.
Also got that route on the list.

Last edited by Pete6114; 07-28-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo

That is a great road.

Quick Reply: Sturgis questions