General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost a friend on a bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Michael88
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost a friend on a bike

So about three weeks ago I lost a good friend. He was riding and was hit by someone making an illegal left and was killed instantly. This is the first friend I've lost while riding and I haven't touched my bike since. I was always secure in the thought that safe riding practices would keep me safe. But now I'm not so sure and am just in a really weird place. I'm not really sure what I'm asking but was hoping for something from a group who I know will understand.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Subduedracer
Advanced

First I am sorry for your loss. It is very difficult to cope with losing a friend to something that could have been prevented. I have lost a few friends on motorcycles, ATV's, and in automobile accidents. As you get older, you will lose people close to you an many different ways. I wouldn't stop doing something that I loved because of this.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

My condolences.

Nobody can blame you at all for not wanting to get on the scoot for a while. I didn't know your friend, or any of the folks I've read about here who have suffered accidents.

And it still makes me take it easy on the bike, maybe skip a day here or there.

Thanks for posting. Live life to the fullest, whether you hop on the bike today, tomorrow, or whenever. Same if you don't hop back on.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you feel exactly what you are supposed to feel

the best advice I have ever seen on this topic is to NOT do anything rash

no listing the bike for sale, because that is how you feel right now

you need time to process this loss, in time when you have a better head on your shoulders you will decide if you want to continue or if you decide to hang up your boots

either decision is fine - but it really comes down to how much YOU enjoy riding and what it means to you

many of us have lost friends this way, it sucks, it takes time to process and then we all make a decision to ride or not ride again

it's actually normal for you not to touch your bike right now, you are feeling mortal and a loss

sorry for your loss

Old 07-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Alert riding is the key, if you take the position that nobody can see you and your are aware of everything going on around you, you will likely avoid being a victim. Unless you were in your friends head at the time, you really cannot know the situation, was he distracted, did he take the needed evasive maneuvers to save his own life or did he fixate on the impending crash.

I am truly sorry you lost your friend, I have had this happen and know the feelings you may be having. I do not discount them.

Please think about this, the exact same outcome could have and does happen even when you are in a cage. You are not much safer in a cage, a plane, a train or a bicycle. you can be killed while walking, swimming or even sitting, history has proven this every day that humans have walked the earth.

Remember your friend. Get back out and ride, think about him at times and use it.

You'll be fine.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 PM
wwheeler
Novice

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. I hope you get to feeling normal soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you. When the time is right, you will make the decision that is best for you (whatever that may be).

Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Michael88
6th Gear

I'm not planning on listing the bike or anything crazy I just don't know if I'm betraying his memory by riding or not riding.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:04 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael88
I'm not planning on listing the bike or anything crazy I just don't know if I'm betraying his memory by riding or not riding.
If he were alive and you were gone, would he be betraying you? He knows your heart, you are good to go on living and to be happy.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Subduedracer
Advanced

If it were I that left this world on my bike, I would want my friends to keep riding in my honor. I would be right there with them.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

we are all going to die soon enough. you have no idea if he had his feet on the highway pegs, cruise set, or was 100% riding defensively. the vast majority of accidents could be avoided by riding defensively. what ever you decide, you are not betraying his memory in any way. it was his day to die--accept it and move on with your life. the best thing you could do in his memory would to be to have a long and meaningful life...with or without ever riding again. JMO

Quick Reply: Lost a friend on a bike