General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost a friend on a bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers to you and his family. I lost my step-Dad (and best riding buddy/mentor) in Aug 2009 to a deer that ran out in front of him while he was returning from a road trip in Utah. A devastating loss that really affected me.

I never stopped riding, but I sure did take to heart and learn from it - deer are a menace, as are left-turns. I'm always on HIGH alert when someone is in front of me about to make a left turn. In Oct 2009 I got taken out by a left turn car that sent me via LifeFlight to the Trauma unit for two days. Luckily just a concussion and road rash. Never thought of giving it up.

But every one is different. Take your time, process this loss in your own way and get back in the saddle only if and when you're ready. Would your friend want you to quit over this? Or if it were reversed and you were the one lost, would you want him to quit? Probably not. Life is short and nobody leaves it alive. I did learn from losing my step-Dad that I'd rather go out quick doing something I love at 50 than in a hospice unit at 90 yrs old.

Sorry for your loss, many here have experienced it, sometimes more than once. You're in the right place here, cuz been there done that.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 PM
senzard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going through a stressful time...Sorry for the loss your friend.I found riding helped me cope with the loss of someone .thats just me....hope all goes well for you

Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Mandodoc
Tourer

Sorry about the loss of your friend.
Might I suggest, when your ready, a memorial ride in your friends name. Knowing he is with you and the support of others who are there as well might help...

Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 AM
blackswan
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I started riding relatively late in life (40) and I have 2 young sons. Believe me when I tell you that it was an agonising decision for me to get my motorcycle license, which is something I had wanted since I was 16. But ultimately, my decision was made on the fact that we cannot live our lives in fear. A life lived in fear is a life not lived at all. That said, every time I get on the bike, I ride like every cage is out to get me. I don't ride in the rain, and I rarely ride at night. One of the things I love about the Harley is that it isn't meant to be ridden fast like a sports bike - its a cruiser. I enjoy riding it at relatively sedate speeds.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your friend's family. It's a heartbreaking loss.

Just like the OP above, I too went through this agonizing decision about whether or not to take the step to buy and ride a motorcycle. I'm 48, so I'm definitely on the downward part of the life curve. As I thought about this process, I realized that I wasn't riding a motorcycle because I wasn't willing to take the risk. I was playing it safe. Too safe in my opinion.

Living life is about doing what you enjoy while managing the risk responsibly. There are no guarantees, but we can take many of the risk factors off the table by riding as defensively as we can.

Take some time to mourn your friend's loss, and let the decision come to you. If you're a person of faith, pray about it. I wish you well either way you choose.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Ultrarider10
1st Gear

Sorry about you losing a good friend. I think your friend would want you to do what you feel is right in your gut. Whether you ride again or not.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:35 PM
heavyd1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. It's hard I know. Just take your time you will know what's best for you.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:57 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

My condolences, but the only thing certain in this world is that we're going to leave it sooner or later. Not too long ago an acquaintance lost a twenty-something daughter while she was visiting from out of state and jogging on the sidewalk, and a car jumped a curb and killed her. I lost my 40 year old kid brother to cancer, and as I type this, a 42 year old former employee is dying from cancer. Point is, honor and remember those who've gone before by living your life, and loving your life.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers to you and his family. I lost my step-Dad (and best riding buddy/mentor) in Aug 2009 to a deer that ran out in front of him while he was returning from a road trip in Utah. A devastating loss that really affected me.

I never stopped riding, but I sure did take to heart and learn from it - deer are a menace, as are left-turns. I'm always on HIGH alert when someone is in front of me about to make a left turn. In Oct 2009 I got taken out by a left turn car that sent me via LifeFlight to the Trauma unit for two days. Luckily just a concussion and road rash. Never thought of giving it up.

But every one is different. Take your time, process this loss in your own way and get back in the saddle only if and when you're ready. Would your friend want you to quit over this? Or if it were reversed and you were the one lost, would you want him to quit? Probably not. Life is short and nobody leaves it alive. I did learn from losing my step-Dad that I'd rather go out quick doing something I love at 50 than in a hospice unit at 90 yrs old.

Sorry for your loss, many here have experienced it, sometimes more than once. You're in the right place here, cuz been there done that.
Well said. My thoughts and condolences to the O.P.
I'd take away a message from your buddy. Trust no one. Keep your head on a swivel and be ready to react anytime. You always need "distance" and room to escape other peoples sudden moves. I'm just learning to actually live this myself after 30 years of riding. It's crazy out there today. Prayers sent.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:08 PM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Get on your bike and ride....

Quick Reply: Lost a friend on a bike