General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My engine is chirping

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Mudslinger64
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine is chirping

Thse are a post i put up on another site..I have checked the pipes and everything is tight.the noise sounds like it is coming from under the gas tank.i cannot pinpoint it,I hear it the most when I am at cruising speed it seems to go away when I roll on the throttle and comes back when I let up.it just started to do this last week and it is driving me nuts,not sure if I should bring it in since its under warranty or just keep looking myself.any ideas?
Then this happened.

Well,today on the way into work along with the chirping the engine started to get a loud ticking like a lifter.the bike has never done this before,so after work I started it up and let it run for 2 minutes,I shut it down and checked the oil and it was a little below the add mark.i added a quart and drove the 20 miles home,at a stop light it was ticking very loud then every 20-30 seconds I would hear a loud click from the engine.it also seems to be down on power again,if I am crushing at 60 in 5th gear and have to pass a car I downshift to 4th and open it up and there is not much there,I have to make sure I have a lot of room to get the speed to pass.the engine has a hard time climbing between 3-4 grand,it will but very slowly.so I make it home and shut it down,15 minutes later I started it again idled it for a couple minutes and shut it down checked the oil and its barely on the stick.i just added the quart 20 miles before this.i am calling the dealer tomorrow and bitching,there is something definitely wrong with this thing but what I don't know.the bike has 27,700 miles on it and 3100 from me.i had the bike in the shop on July 2nd because it was going threw a lot of oil,3 quarts in 2000 miles,they found 2 broken oil pan bolts and a bad gasket.but I never saw any oil on my garage floor or under the bike.they said the plugs looked great but I think they look white.they also did a bore scope and everything looked fine but did not do a compression check.i asked them why and he said he has never seen rings go bad on a bike with that many miles 60,000 yes but not at 26,000 so it wasnt checked.so now they will get it back and it will stay there until they test the engine completely.it has a warranty and I am pissed.sorry about venting but I am not happy.

Well I ended up bringing it to the dealer and got a call after work tonight.
The dealer just called me and said the front cylinder has a 14% leak down and looks like it got hot.he says that would explain the power loss I have been telling them about,they are thinking the rings are toast like I also told them I thought was the problem the first time I brought it in.he also said he can hear the noise in the front cylinder that I was telling him about.so hopefully I get a bike back that runs great,I can't wait.

We will see what happens

Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 64 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for reporting back. So it was piston ring blow-by as someone suggested in the other thread. Glad your problem is now fixed.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Mudslinger64
Intermediate

The bike is still at the shop.they just started to tear it down tonight.he called just to give an update on what was found so far.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,002 Likes on 753 Posts

Gotta make you wonder why they gave you such a lame excuse for not checking compression. Your bike was in there for oil consumption, they scoped the bore and found nothing. So instead of doing a simple test they just give it back to you hoping that it would just fix itself? At least you have a warranty, I hope they can repair it properly.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Mudslinger64
Intermediate

I talked to the service dept today to see what they found after they got it tore down.he told me that the engine needs new pistons and rings,the crank is shot because the connecting rod was so sloppy it messed it up bad.so now it has to either have a complete rebuild or have a new engine put in.it is going to be covered under warranty but they have to send in a report on it to Milwaukee to see what they want to do.i am hoping they will drop a new motor in it,it would probably be cheaper than a complete rebuild.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 47,042 Likes on 16,999 Posts

Thanks for confirming it was a good idea to buy an extended warranty. I hope you get a new motor. Will they restart the clock on warranty on a rebuild?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Mudslinger64
Intermediate

I didn't ask him that but I will find out.i would have to think if they put a new motor in it would come with its own warranty.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Mudslinger64
Intermediate

Service dept called me today.they said an insurance adjuster was coming to make a decision on what they are going to do.it is going to be a complete motor rebuild which is going to be $3800 just for parts or a remanufactured motor for $3400.it is a no brainer for me but they have to have the insurance guy make the decision for them.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain

If you can add value and have the shop build the motor you want (and include a warranty) would be sweet.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,110 Likes on 8,317 Posts

Make them do a complete motor rebuild with your engine. That way the vin # match's the bike.

Quick Reply: My engine is chirping