General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you lock your bike up in public areas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013 | 05:46 AM
SMSGTBob
|
3rd Gear
Default How do you lock your bike up in public areas?

Hey everyone, I will be attending Biketober Fest this year and the Hotel where I will be staying dose not have very good parking for my bike. It's across the street from the hotel. The Hotel said they have security for the parking lot but I don't have a warm fuzzy about the situation. So I am wondering how do you lock up or secure your bike when in a public area? I purchased a disc lock with alarm (Xena xx15) and have the factory passive alarm but thats it. Thanks

Old 07-23-2013 | 06:15 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

That is as good as it is going to get.
The only other option is to take a cable and chain it to a post or pole.

Old 07-23-2013 | 06:24 AM
Voldemort
Tourer

I use a disc lock and a Kawasaki bike cover. I got the bike cover free when I bought my 1600 Vulcan Nomad. It fits the Ultra perfect. I think they see Kawasaki and they just keep moving. LOL

Old 07-23-2013 | 06:35 AM
SMSGTBob
|
3rd Gear

That's too funny but not a bad idea. I won't have room to lug around a bulky chain or cable. I'm thinking I'll add the HD security system and that will have to be it. If they want the bike bad enough they will get it.

Old 07-23-2013 | 06:38 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Voldemort
I use a disc lock and a Kawasaki bike cover. I got the bike cover free when I bought my 1600 Vulcan Nomad. It fits the Ultra perfect. I think they see Kawasaki and they just keep moving. LOL
GENIUS!

Old 07-23-2013 | 06:58 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member

These days it only takes a few minutes for a few guys to take a bike, anyway you can make your bike seem to be more of a hassle is a plus, a year or so ago a theft crew out of northern Cal were arrested - three guys would back a tow-truck up to the bike, one would cut any chains or cables, the other would hook the bike and the driver would lift it a couple feet and away they went. the cops said by looking at the surveillance cameras it only took less than 3 minutes to haul away the 2011 HD full dressed Tour bike.

Old 07-23-2013 | 07:04 AM
goo
Tourer

anybody with half a brain wants to steal your bike, they're gonna.

I really like the Kawasaki bike cover idea, too

Old 07-23-2013 | 07:09 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Lock the ignition, lock the forks and walk away. (Oh, and make sure your insurance premiums are paid up, just in case. As others have said, if they want to take it, they will.)

Old 07-23-2013 | 07:10 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member

Make sure you have, in writing, what the insurance company is going to pay for your stolen bike. (Which book value what %, etc) Then just lock it and don't leave anything you can't afford to lose in the bags. If you're using a disk lock, buy the 5 dollar cable that goes to the handlebar to remind you to take it off......

Old 07-23-2013 | 07:33 AM
Abandoned
Road Captain

I use front and rear wheel locks for my piece of mind. but if someone wants it not much is gonna stop them, which is why I have theft insurance as well.

Quick Reply: How do you lock your bike up in public areas?