General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you lock your bike up in public areas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013 | 09:12 AM
oricko
Tourer

Park it, lock ignition, set factory alarm go for a beer or two. Had a friend that use to always cover his bike until cat thought it was a good place to sleep. Had to recover seat.

Old 07-24-2013 | 12:58 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
When I travel, I carry a 6 foot cable with a loop built into both ends and 2 good locks. I can lock the bike to a tree, a car/truck or if I travel someone else, we cable the bikes together. We can do 3 in a row with this setup. Cable locked to first bike, thru the frame of the second and locked to the third bike. I figure this is better than the factory alarm alone. Sometimes I lock it near reception and pay the night person a few bucks to keep an eye on it...I joke with them and tell them I will pay them in the morning if it's still there...lol. I almost always stay at motels/hotels where you can park in front of your room...with the window open...Have a safe trip.
That is the type of cable I use too. You would make a pretty good noise trying to cut thru it.

Old 07-24-2013 | 03:28 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

I walk away with the fob in my pocket. That's it.

There are so many bikes at Biketoberfest that I figure the chances of someone taking my black EGU are pretty small. Plus it's insured. Not that I want to fly home bikeless.

Old 07-29-2013 | 01:17 PM
BlacklinePaul
Advanced

I use two of these one in the front rotor and one in the back, with a reminder cable to the hand grip.

Amazon.com: Kryptonite 000426 New York Yellow Chrome 14P Disc Lock: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Kryptonite 000426 New York Yellow Chrome 14P Disc Lock: Sports & Outdoors

This does a pretty nice job and they are designed for New York City crime levels including laser cut keys.

At least these will slow them down quite a bit in addition to the HD factory security, ignition lock and fork lock.

Old 07-29-2013 | 01:43 PM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by SMSGTBob
Hey everyone, I will be attending Biketober Fest this year and the Hotel where I will be staying dose not have very good parking for my bike. It's across the street from the hotel. The Hotel said they have security for the parking lot but I don't have a warm fuzzy about the situation. So I am wondering how do you lock up or secure your bike when in a public area? I purchased a disc lock with alarm (Xena xx15) and have the factory passive alarm but thats it. Thanks
I have the Harley Security System on both bikes, and added the smart siren and the battery operated PAGER for it. The pager works up to 1/2 mile away, even in buildings, and lets YOU know the bike is being messed with (or run over, which has happened to one I had!) and lets you go see for yourself what's up. The other-than-Harley covers are a great idea as well. Best $180.00 I've spent. Yes, you can get a cheaper siren, but the integrated system from Harley that lets you have the pager is worth the money. And make sure you get the BATTERY operated pager, not the one that has to be charged. Easier to replace a battery than to carry another charger and have to leave it charging when you leave the room.

The object is to make your bike either blend in or be more trouble than it's worth to take.

Old 07-29-2013 | 05:05 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master

I personally endorse the "James Bond Security Sysytem" Simply stated if anybody screws with your ride it blows up & ruins the criminals day!

Old 07-29-2013 | 07:26 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

I lock my bike by making sure my insurance premium is paid. If they want it, they will get it. The actual theft in this video is less than a minute at the end of this video.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 07-29-2013 at 07:58 PM.