General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you lock your bike up in public areas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013 | 04:26 PM
scoteh
Club Member

Park next to the shiniest bikes around, lock it up, and have fun. If they do steal it, hope it's gone forever. I got a stolen one back once, and I sure as heck wished I hadn't. It was a piece of crap sfter that.

Old 07-23-2013 | 04:40 PM
dave anderson
Cruiser

probate watches it for me

Old 07-23-2013 | 05:05 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Insurance.

I've always thought that the scoots that were covered, had disc locks, and were chained to a utility pole just invited attention.

It takes less than 60 seconds for experienced thieves to take the biggest of baggers.

Old 07-23-2013 | 05:08 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior

I agree with the others tht said if a thief wants it, he'll steal it. The pros will have guys jump out of a van, pick up a bike, literally toss it in the back of the van, and be gone in a minute or two. They don't care about scratches or dents to tanks, fairings, or fenders. Time is important to them. That being said, when I stay at a hotel, I cable my bike to a buddy's bike. Bikes facing in opposite directions, frame to frame. I'm just hoping thieves realize its going to take them a little longer to steal one, or both of these bikes & that they'll move on to something else.

Old 07-23-2013 | 06:47 PM
obidio
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pargenz
Insurance.

I've always thought that the scoots that were covered, had disc locks, and were chained to a utility pole just invited attention.

It takes less than 60 seconds for experienced thieves to take the biggest of baggers.
+1

will mail ins premium payment TODAY!

Old 07-23-2013 | 06:49 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

While I understand those that say 'if they want it they'll take it', I believe that anything that makes it more difficult for them is just one thing more that may make them move on to easier pickings.

I lock the forks, the ignition, use Xenon disk lock with alarm, and a Monster cable around either a stationary object or my buddy's bike. The cover has no name on it to advertise to the creeps, uh thieves. Of course, I take the bags and windshield off as well.

Old 07-23-2013 | 07:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Markk9
Make sure you have the proper insurance to cover the bike and luggage. If somebody wants the bike or bags, they are going to get them.
The easy ones your right they will but living bikes the last 40 yrs has taught me one glaring fact make it harder and most will move on to the easy pickings .

If it's a fast in & out in a large public place ign. locked with a disk lock , if the bikes going to be outa sight for a while the above and I'll run a cable or chain through the rear wheel and around something like a post or rail or another bike . Thief may deal with one or 2 issues but the the 3rd means work and spending time they don't have .

Old 07-23-2013 | 07:51 PM
elky72ss454
Road Captain

All good info. The only thing with covers are cats. If there are cats in the area, they might get under the cover and scratch your seat. I used to cover mine at a place I stayed on a regular basis. Removed the cover one morning dang cat came flying out. (that will wake you up too) Darn cat had scratched my seat to hell and back. Now I am reluctant to use a cover.

Old 07-23-2013 | 08:07 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

If they want it, then they will take it. Buy insurance and drink in peace.

Old 07-23-2013 | 11:31 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

When I travel, I carry a 6 foot cable with a loop built into both ends and 2 good locks. I can lock the bike to a tree, a car/truck or if I travel someone else, we cable the bikes together. We can do 3 in a row with this setup. Cable locked to first bike, thru the frame of the second and locked to the third bike. I figure this is better than the factory alarm alone. Sometimes I lock it near reception and pay the night person a few bucks to keep an eye on it...I joke with them and tell them I will pay them in the morning if it's still there...lol. I almost always stay at motels/hotels where you can park in front of your room...with the window open...Have a safe trip.

Quick Reply: How do you lock your bike up in public areas?