General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building 'THE PERFECT' Harley Davidson dealership.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:46 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building 'THE PERFECT' Harley Davidson dealership.

Let’s face it, we’ve ALL been into Harley Davidson dealerships that either we loved or we hated. Vowing never to return to the ones we hated; while at the same time, willing to drive sometimes hours on end to return to those dealerships that we enjoyed.

Now then, given the collective experience and knowledge base that this board has in its presence, let’s see if folks could come up with what they’d consider to be ‘The Ideal Harley Davidson Dealership Experience’. Seriously. Bear in mind that this could/would include everything from sales, service, incentive programs, Internet price matching, repeat customer discounts, trade-ins, bike nights, customer appreciation programs, lounge area, music playing, merchandise on the floor, bikes in stock, management team, tech team, building layout, customer service, and the like.

If Willie G. himself came to you and gave you carte blanche for HD’s next dealership, what would it be like? What could a prospective or existing HD owner expect to see and/or experience upon walking through ‘your’ doors?

This could be interesting.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Building 'THE PERFECT' Harley Davidson dealership.

Sales people on an hourly wage
Pirces listed on the bikes with OTD pricing clearly shown
Sales people that get training so they know what they are talking about.

Rules against parts guys hanging out in groups and talking with eachother, so that I don't have to 'interrupt' to get help.
Hot Coffee, cold water available.

Motorclothes people that actually care about customer service.
Owner on site often and right there to talk to customers.
Managers that are empowered to make decisions on how to handle 'situations'

All employees make a real effort to remember clients names and bikes.

Wow, I get all that from my dealer.
The only thing missing are bike nights. I doubt I would go anyhow.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:02 PM
jackj
Banned

If I could provide you with a complete answer to that question (a full business plan) I would not be in the business that I am, but rather be an HD dealer. I will say this, over all, most of the dealerships I have been in during my travels I have been happy with.Every area has a different market as far as customer base. Therefore some can not offer all the sales gimmices that the big guys do.There is of course exceptions to the "good dealers" that's always the way in any business.I am confident that the area managers for HD knows who they are and will make changes over time.

"If Willie G. himself came to you and gave you carte blanche for HD’s next dealership,"That really does not matter, profit margins are not of any concern to Willie G. that is the responsibility of each dealer to maintain, all he cares about is you pay them ON TIME on what you purchase, the rest is up to you.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior

I'd paint the outside of it PINK!

Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain

I second what Rhubarb says...

Old 03-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I third Rhubarb butI'm lucky as my dealer does do about all those things and anything i would put on the list.
They know my name, motorcloths folks always grab you at the door and say hey.
Parts guys come out from behind the counter to see if i need help with whatever i'm looking at
Salesmen know i'm biked out and still track me down to talk. Service does a good job and always washes the bike with each service.
Didn't like the Thunderheader igotand they offered to buy it back and put me back to where i was.
Owner wonders around the store talking to folks.
They always have coffee and water and a pool table.
Get thank you cards from motorcloths and service after i've been by and purchased something.
Get coupons in the mail for discounts.
Hooters girls are around regular for photos and during events, that's a plus.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Victoria's Secret models as the sales people? And they'll do "anything" to close the deal....

Old 03-01-2007, 05:01 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Computerized Robots....

1. When you walk to the parts counter, robot does a retina scan, knows you, your bike serial #, family etc. (providing you are in their database). Instant quote on parts in stock or availability if they are not...."your part will be here Friday at 2:12 PM".
2. Sales robot. Knows everything about every bike for sale and inventory or delivery dates. Knowsincenitves, finance options, your FICO score, your last 5 years of tax returns and driving record. Instant loan approval or rejection, based on the model of your choice...will even suggest the one you can afford.Linked into HD and after market Mainframes. Has built-in Bose speakers so that you can 'hear' the different muffler choices.
3. Service Robot. Plugs into you ECM, instant correct anaylsis of your issue, whether the part is still under warranty, and if not, what the cost to repair is. Usually can be done while you wait, including complete engine removal and replacement (takes about 20 mins). Repair costs are now about 25% of what they used to be. Same with upgrades...will even guarantee HP and TQ.
4. Hostess Robot. Meets you at the door, welcomes you, and after talking with you projects a hologram of you on various bikes, in various gear, including the scenery of your choice. Wanna know how you are going to look going down the main drag in Sturgis? You can even hear how you will sound rapping the throttle or going thru the gears.

Then we can read everyone's new experience at Harley Dealers....yeah, got what I wanted at the right price, but somehow it feels like Harley has lost the personal touch. [sm=interesting.gif]

Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fife HD in WA. they got taco tuesdays. a resturant many bikes in stock many gifts and clothes. used bikes good sales team. and parts guys that actually get out from behind the counter and help you.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

WHen you phone the dealership, you talk to a human, not a recording of all the specials offered and left on hold.
Service manuals that a customer can look at without bothering the guys that don't want to help.

Quick Reply: Building 'THE PERFECT' Harley Davidson dealership.