General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Responsibility dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013 | 10:18 PM
kkiley
Road Master

Interesting timing. I was at Pismo Beach last weekend with my friends that all ride. A friend of one of their sons showed up and was showing us the scars from going down 8 months ago. Hands had been raw, arms, legs, the only right thing he did was have a FF. Major discussion about helmets and the benefits of a full face. I recently bought a DOT half, but am considering a FF now. Found one that is really light and comfortable, and might make the move.

Old 07-22-2013 | 10:21 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior

Once you decide that you want the helmet _for yourself_ (and possibly for the well-being of others close to you), whether your state mandates helmets - or doesn't - will no longer enter into the equation. It will become irrelevant.

But don't cheap out -- take the time to get a good one. I'd suggest at least a 3/4. Even try on full-faces, including the higher-end ones.

For me, no helmet = no ride.
Been that way for 20+ years now.
Won't change.

Old 07-22-2013 | 10:23 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLTRU4ME
I have a friend that went down a month ago. They are putting him in a care facility because of Frontal Lobe trauma. He will probably be medicated for the rest of his life to keep him where he is calm enough to even be cared for. No helmet........ I'll bet he would wear one now if he had a second chance..
So many of these stories.

Hard to ignore the reality that a helmet could not only be the difference between life and death -- but continuing to live the life you choose. Sounds like freedom to me.

My best wishes for your friend.

Old 07-22-2013 | 10:30 PM
Oxford
Cruiser

I feel your pain. I know I should be wearing, but it's just so much nicer without.

Most of the guys I ride with are sans helmet, but they all own one.

My kids are all grown, but there's always the grandkids to think about.

The big windshield on the ultra makes it really easy to get by without. Maybe I need to cut it down.

The older we get the more we think about death, but then again we only live once.

My helmet is usually in the tour pac. I keep thinking about the irony in the accident report.

Too damned much time to think!

Old 07-23-2013 | 12:12 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior

When you never uses it (head-gear). You just have to it bring it along! To the State's that DEMAND. Like MO ok I use.

We should decide, it should be your choice? I live in Illinois.

I could avoid those states! But I like MO. I go near MO often.

Now that MI has been awakened, Now to Grayling, and to the UP.

Old 07-23-2013 | 12:16 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Polisci69
Yes it is. I have visions of unsavory family members raising my kids and teaching them lifes lessons, no thank you please.

Look guys, i know i should be wearing a helmet, that really isnt my issue. I do not need to be convinced of consequences. As a former police officer, i've seen plenty of consequences of bad choices. What bothers me is i know i need to wear one, but really don't want to. This is why i am not at peace with myself right now. I don't believe my death date is known by a higher being. When i die, it will be the result of bad decisions on somebodies part, or my body gives up for various reasons.
I started riding in SoCal before the helmet laws were renacted. so i rode there until 92 wihtout a helmet. Moved to Nevada where helmets were mandatory. Hated all 12 years of it. Never got used to them. Ended up wearing silly non DOT skid lids.

Now that I am back in a helmet optional state I prefer just to get on the bike and go with whatever I am wearing for the weather. That said i don't live in an urban area. Very light traffic and my commutes are short. So the risk is greatly reduced. I don;t think I would ride today in places like LA or San Diego. When I visit out there and rent cars I cannot believe how close people are to each doing 70MPH. I don't have enough eyes to even want to get on a bike in those conditions anymore.

I would tell anyone to manage their own risk level and live with the results. Life is all about managing risk. Some people thing just riding a motorcycle is very foolish and irresponsible with a family. Ad do riders themselves who believe others riding without a helmet is just as foolish and irresponsible.

Old 07-23-2013 | 12:26 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

I've trashed 2 FF helmets bouncing off asphalt in the last 5 yrs. Oddly enough I don't wear the helmet 80% of the time. Real glad I did on those 2 occasions though!

Old 07-23-2013 | 12:55 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member

I've also been thinking about the great helmet debate. I never wear one but reading some of the threads on here about some of the accidents forum members have been in has made me think more about wearing one. The thread that really is stuck in my brain is the one from Matt, who's helmet almost broke in half when the woman crossed the center line and hit him head on.

I have a 1/2 helmet and whenever I get caught in a bad rain storm I find myself thinking that I wish I had it with me so I could put it on.

My kids are grown so I don't have to worry about who would raise them but even though they are adults they still need me.

Old 07-23-2013 | 01:04 AM
AtoZ
6th Gear

I did not read all,

I like to wear the pot on my head as it feels good and the half helmet is also nice.

I prefer full face and now i use the modular full face with flip up.

I crashed several times and the first thing i hit was my head. If you like to use anything less than a full face helmet you have to understand you have a chance to loose some of your face if you crash, if you wear a full face one well if you loose your face hmm, you might have lost you head. Its all about comfort and what you like to take a chance on. Same as riding with shorts, t-shirt etc, what are you willing to loose if it happens ?

Old 07-23-2013 | 05:44 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

**** being retarded because you slipped parking your bike and bashed your head on the ground. I'll pick intelligence any day of the week.

Quick Reply: Responsibility dilemma