General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Responsibility dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013 | 08:13 PM
FLTRU4ME
Tourer

I have a friend that went down a month ago. They are putting him in a care facility because of Frontal Lobe trauma. He will probably be medicated for the rest of his life to keep him where he is calm enough to even be cared for. No helmet........ I'll bet he would wear one now if he had a second chance..

Old 07-22-2013 | 08:19 PM
Polisci69
|
Banned

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Funny the little things in your life that a kid or 2 changes and how fast isn't it ? .
Yes it is. I have visions of unsavory family members raising my kids and teaching them lifes lessons, no thank you please.

Look guys, i know i should be wearing a helmet, that really isnt my issue. I do not need to be convinced of consequences. As a former police officer, i've seen plenty of consequences of bad choices. What bothers me is i know i need to wear one, but really don't want to. This is why i am not at peace with myself right now. I don't believe my death date is known by a higher being. When i die, it will be the result of bad decisions on somebodies part, or my body gives up for various reasons.

Old 07-22-2013 | 08:22 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I can not get on a bike without a helmet on. It does not feel right. I have worn helmets for as long as I can remember.

No wind or bugs in my eyes = great

Knowledge that I won't conk my head on the pavement = priceless

Making my wife feel better when I leave on a ride/road trip = love

Seeing all three of my sons wear helmets because their dad did = love + priceless

Being responsible is what manhood is about not being what some would think is cool. That is immaturity.

Your decision as to where you will be on the issue.

Old 07-22-2013 | 08:23 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member

Like others have said, when you get used to wearing a helmet you won't even notice it.

Old 07-22-2013 | 08:24 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer

Usually the HD Forum is about two thirds voting "dress for the comfort of the ride," but it seems that most responders are siding with the helmet on your post.

For a different perspective, check out this motorcycle safety site and forum...which is pro safety gear and all things safety.

It's like watching Fox News and then MSNBC...opposing views so you can make up your own mind.

Old 07-22-2013 | 08:32 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

I wore a FF for 8 years. I thought people who rode without a helmet were idiots. Last year was really hot, so I rode without a helmet and thought "Wow, this feels great."
So this year I compromised and bought a Bell 500. Not as good as a FF, but a lot better than nothing. Barely feel it.

Old 07-22-2013 | 08:34 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
From: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.

Originally Posted by Polisci69
What bothers me is i know i need to wear one, but really don't want to.
Well, there you go. Either ride with a helmet or don't ride. I sold my motorcycles when the kids came along and bought another when the youngest turned 14. Wasn't a real big deal for me. Gave me more time with the kids and did other things instead. I started riding again partly to fill the void left by their departure.

Good luck on your decision. There really ain't a "wrong" one, just one you can live with.

And the wife and I generally wear the 3/4 helmet and armored jackets. We just started this summer, up until then it was tee shirts and doo rags (and sometimes it still is:-).

Last edited by d-streetglidr; 07-22-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2013 | 08:42 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I just started wearing a helmet this spring. That little voice in the back of my mind......

Old 07-22-2013 | 09:28 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

Now a days, I'll rarely ride with no helmet. Sometimes ride with a half helmet. But mostly now, I really prefer my full face. Gotta' run with what your gut tells ya!

Old 07-22-2013 | 09:56 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Get a DOT approved lid, my friend. I think you'll find after a few weeks wearing it that they help the feel of the ride more than they hurt it.

I personally like a 3/4 (Bell Custom500). If you size it correctly, it won't lift a highway speeds, it will cancel out ambient noise so you can actually hear your bike and your surroundings better. And they look just as cool as any 1/2 non DOT lid.

You're older, and wiser now. Might as well own it.

Quick Reply: Responsibility dilemma