General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why hate on the sportbikes??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:20 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Why hate on the sportbikes??

I'll wave to anybody whether they're on a Harley, a sportbike or their Vespa scooter. But I don't know why people get hung up on waving. If someone doesn't wave back to me I don't give it a seconds thought. Who cares.

ORIGINAL: TheDestroyer

I can see both sides, it is true that most of the sportbikers I see are kids, but there are also a good portion of older sportbikers as well. It's the guys and gals we see playing tag and riding wheelies down mainstreet that we more often see and base our opinions on. I dont think it's fair to stereotype sportbikers because the ones we see more often are more often than not the ones who are being retards on the asphalt. The guys who are taking advantage of the sportbikes are the ones bustin up and down the hills on the twisties usually wearing full leathers and a helmet. Those guys for the most part arent endangering a population of motorists, if they go down they usually only stack themselves against a guardrail or fly off a cliff. Not good, but they are making that choice themselves.
I guess the point of the rant is to recognize "the wave." Correct me if I am wrong but the point of the wave is to acknowledgeALL motorcyclists becuase we ALL share the risks and we ALL share the passion, so why not share the commradary?!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 PM
FACTION95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wave and ride with Sportbike riders. The funny thing is that the custom chopper guys don't wave to me at all.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting thread.
I have an 06 FLHT and an 07 Kawasaki ZX-14. Both nice bikes that do what they are supposed to do very well.
Its really funny, I ride to bike night on the FL and converse with the HD crowd. Next week I ride the 14 and converse with the "sportbike" crowd. Only a few have figured out that I have both bikes. My riding gear is the same except I ware a full face with the 14 and half lid with the FL.
Both groups have thier "azzhats" and both groups have thier good guys.
Parking is usually devided at the Hooters I go to, with the HD crowd on one end, sportbikes on the other. I have always parked on the HD side with the FL and sport side with the 14.
Tonight (Thursday Hooters Bike night) I think I will take the 14 and park with the HDs.
Next week Ill take the FL and park with the sport guys. This should be interesting.

Thanks for the idea
Doug
PS: I never met a bike I didn't like.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:26 PM
TheDestroyer
Intermediate

Let me know how that works out for ya Varoom!!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:29 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where's dgator66 and his video when ya need em. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 03-01-2007, 04:33 PM
07SG
Cruiser

I'm with "TheDestroyer" on this one!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

The kids I ride with have mostly older sportbikes or old kz1000 type bikes. I really don't care what they ride. What I do care about (like the others) is riding stupid. I will only ride with stupid once. No idiot is going to get me killed, if I can help it.

Not everyone can afford a harley.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:54 PM
jedsporty883
Tourer

just yesterday, as I parked my bike and was just sitting on it waiting for time to clock in at work, one of the guys at work who had a Yamaha R-6 came up and was talking about riding. He's a great guy, to me he's a kid, 22, who sold his R-6 a while back because he got married. He's dying to ride again. he's not into H-D but his passion is sport bikes. He likes the speed thing and I can understand that because he's a young man.He still has the love of riding, even if he wants to display it in a different manner. We may not agree with the manner that some sportbike riders use to display their riding skills but they are just a portion of all the sportbike riders. Not all sportbike riders are doing wheelies. I will not downgrade my friend by being critical of his choice of riding because if I was 22 I might want to do the same thing. We have seen those guys going down the road with their girl friends pressed up against them. Who wouldn't love that!

Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I'll ride with anyone on two wheels. In my CMA chapter we have al kinds of motorcycles, HD, Honda, sportbikes other metrics and even one guy on a 1985 Yamaha Maxim 700. We have a lot of good natured ribbing, but the bottom line is we all love to ride and trust each other and enjoy the Ride together.
Phil

Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

having ridden sportbikes for a LONG time- i was able to meet ALOT of people (sport bikers)

ive been riding a cruiser since 03 (and the HD most recently) and have found that the HD crowd has quite a few more smack-off's over the sportbikers.

im sure ill be flamed for saying that.

Quick Reply: Why hate on the sportbikes??