General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ecupirate
Its a 2009
2009 what?

When asking if a part will/won't work it "usually" helps to know the year and model of the bike and the specific part in question. The speedometer you seem to refer to behaves differently on different models.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:56 AM
ecupirate
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a 2009 road king.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:23 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

OK, Same one I had on my Dyna - with those you can just buy it - inside the box is a small cable that will connect the new speedo to your ecm data port and it will transfer your mileage to the new speedometer. I forget the figure but once you ride the bike for approximately 31 miles (new speedo will display a figure in place of miles remaining and count down) it will lock to your bike and the mileage will be permanent. This is to confirm proper operation after installation.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:02 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's a

Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 PM
ecupirate
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all info!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
OK, Same one I had on my Dyna - with those you can just buy it - inside the box is a small cable that will connect the new speedo to your ecm data port and it will transfer your mileage to the new speedometer. I forget the figure but once you ride the bike for approximately 31 miles (new speedo will display a figure in place of miles remaining and count down) it will lock to your bike and the mileage will be permanent. This is to confirm proper operation after installation.
so the op question was about a used speedo. you mention above 'locking' to your bike, if that is the case, can you switch it from one bike to another?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:02 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

My bike is an 08 Crossbones, and the mileage is stored in the Speedo. I've gone through 3 of them. Still have the original, but sent another back for exchange under warranty. The new one started at zero, but I actually have around 9000 miles more on the bike rather than what is shown on the speedo.

I think the wiring changes for the ECM were around 2010 model year, but I'm not sure.

You need to check with a Harley technician on this. The newer speedos would probably need some sort of adjustment for my particular model year.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 07-23-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:28 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ecupirate
NDBadlands4-2
"Yesterday I was at the dealer and they had the new combo tach, speedo display. The parts guy said that on newer bikes the miles are stored in the ECM, not the speedo, so it is just plug and play. "

Can anyone confirm this? I found a used speedometer I want but don't want to buy if the mileage isn't correct.
Originally Posted by skratch
so the op question was about a used speedo. you mention above 'locking' to your bike, if that is the case, can you switch it from one bike to another?
Guess I missed that last sentence about finding a used one. When I say locked, I mean the mileage locks in and can no longer be changed, you can switch to another bike but the mileage will pick up where it left off on the previous bike.

Originally Posted by mrmarklin
My bike is an 08 Crossbones, and the mileage is stored in the Speedo. I've gone through 3 of them. Still have the original, but sent another back for exchange under warranty. The new one started at zero, but I actually have around 9000 miles more on the bike rather than what is shown on the speedo.

I think the wiring changes for the ECM were around 2010 model year, but I'm not sure.

You need to check with a Harley technician on this. The newer speedos would probably need some sort of adjustment for my particular model year.
Not sure exactly when the change occured but newer bikes have it in both which is how these plug and play ones work. You plug the new speedo into the ecm and it aquires the mileage stored there - the old speedo can be put on another bike and it will work - it just starts from whatever the figure is when it was removed.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:10 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

okay, so now, this brings up this question. if the mileage is stored in both the ecm and the speedo, if you change out speedos, then the mileage will not agree, correct? i'm guessing the dealer has the ability to pull the mileage out of the ecm?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

With the combo speedometer/tach if you install a new one (never used) and run it more than the 31 miles, it locks the mileage to the current figure stored in the ecm, if you were to remove that and reinstall the stock one at a later date then yes - the figure will be off. Basically you can install a used speedometer that is compatible with your bike but it will retain the mileage from the original bike it came from and accumulate from there.

Quick Reply: Used speedometer