General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance headlamp bulb

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Motormedicus
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance headlamp bulb

The bulb rating should indicate the wattage drawn. The higher number is just the equivelency, or "I'm as bright as a xx/xx" bulb. If find this a bit of a gray area, as they could be citing just about anything. But, it should be brighter and better than stock. Usually the method of getting the higher number is to use different gasses in the bulb, ie Halogen, or Xenon, that allow the fillement to burn brighter. You could be producing more heat, HDWrench could advise you better than me on that...

Scott

Old 08-24-2005, 07:44 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Performance headlamp bulb

I've been running the J&P bulb, 100w bright/80 watt dim, for 1-1/2 years. No current draw problems, no melted wiring, no melted lamp holder. The 130/100 would require modifications.

The bulb I saw that is s'posed to be "as bright as" isn't. It's somewhere between stock and the "real" higher powered bulb. The current draw for it is the same as the stock bulb, but the heat produced is kept lower than the brighter bulbs by the gas used to fill the bulb. It's a good choice, but the cost is pretty high for a chepoid like me.

I don't worry about it not being legal as I've never had the inspector pull the headlamp to read the bulb rating. If he wanted to, I'd just take my marbles and go home. Kinda like sometimes one will say he has to ride the bike to check the brakes. First off, NOBODY rides my bike except me, and even most muttersickle mechs that do inspections can't ride a suicide clutch, so they ain't learnin' on my bike!