General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AXXESS Toy Haulers

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXXESS Toy Haulers

Anyone have one of these? Review? Thanks.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:15 AM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't give you a review as I have note seen these particular Toyhaulers. But from looking at the web page and the floorplans, I think you can find some that would be a better layout than what they are offering. We went from Camper trailer with bikes in bed of pu, to a small toyhauler to the Class a with an enclosed trailer. We have looked at many many toy haulers and have found the following things to consider.
1) Many use the storage and living area as the same area. Stuff folds up to make room for the "toys" This means storing gas and oil in your living space. It also means no inside storage while actually camping.
2) The fold up beds and sofas tend to be uncomfortable. At least the ones we have seen and tried.
3) Many of these smaller toy-haulers also have steep ramp angles that can make loading/unloading difficult.
4) Tie downs are always underfoot, and you have to remove any wheel chocks while camping and find a spot to store them.
5) Smaller toy-haulers tend to be very tight inside. They also tend to have limited storage.

Make sure that you check them out with the stuff folded and unfolded to see the spacing etc. Some of them fold stuff against the side walls and that narrows the area where your bikes will sit. Remember in order to maximize the storage the bikes need to be offset enough that the handlebars do not touch. (Remember to take mirrors into account too)

I have seen many of these smaller toy haulers and have seen these types of issues with them I did see a "Work and Play" version that also includes a slide out to give more living space. I walked through a couple of the "Work and Play" models in the past and they are bare bones but seem pretty well laid out. However, they also have the bikes stored in the living space.

It really is a personal fit on how you want to be able to use the "garage" area s living area. Of course the more of either that you get means more weight and more money.

Hope this helps and no matter what you are looking at take a lot of time to look them over and see them in all the different setups that you can. Take the time to sit in all the seats, lay down in all the sleeping areas, and see how things are to reach them if you need to. Both when the bikes are stored and when they are not.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 AM
lmarty
Novice

In addition to the points harleyfiremedic makes, you don't want to store any bike with fuel in them when sleeping in trailer. With this in mind, it can limit where you can stop at night, having to unload bikes and having to leave bikes outside possibly unsecured. Having a unit with a separate garage type space means you can leave bikes stored and if for some reason need to leave in middle of night, just need to start tow vehicle and drive off.
That's what I am hoping to be able to get when I fully retire and can travel half the year.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 PM
B-Sweet
Cruiser
Smile On my 2nd Toyhauler

I have 2 Toyhaulers, I have never had any issues with the bikes being in the trailer while traveling. We are 3 adults so we trade driving and can go quite a long way before we unload bikes. We drove from just south of Ft Worth TX to Maggie Valley NC without stopping for sleep by taking turns.
Our bikes don't leak and there has never been a issue with fumes.
You do not have to store your oil and gas inside the trailer.
Both of ours have a gasoline storage tank and elect. pump out side the trailer.
One is a 24 ft and the other is a 30 ft.
The 24 ft sleeps 6 and has a huge Bathroom and lots of outside storage.
The 30ft sleeps 6 and has a private bedroom in the front but is shy on outside storage.

We bought the 24 ft and have used it several years 1 long weekend trip per month and a 2-3 week trip each year, then we found a great deal on the bigger one and bought it. We have only used the bigger one 2 or 3 times. There are things I like in the smaller one and things I like in the big one.
I cant decide which one I want to sell.