General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What in the world is wrong with

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:56 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What in the world is wrong with

ORIGINAL: Mikeeeeeeeeee

A Twin Cam 88?
WHy in the world would anyone want to mess with it?
Not enough power?
What in the world are yiou hauling that you need extreme builds?
I just dont understand.
88 cubes has got plenty of power.
Haulin A$$.. enuff said!

Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 810 Posts

ORIGINAL: wildwill
Clammy, yer gonna love it. You did pretty much the same thing I did to my Road King except that I went up to 95" due to the weight of my bike. Did the Screamin' Eagle intake, S&S 570G Gear Driven Cams, HDFR heads (machined), quick install push rods, Evo valves with heavy duty springs and high performance clutch spring. Have Vance & Hines Oval slip on mufflers with stock header. Also have installed Power Commander III and had it custom tuned. The Dyno shows 94 hp and 104 fp torque.

She screams off the line, but the strongest pull is in the 2 - 4K range (just where I want it to be).
[sm=gears.gif] [sm=burnout.gif]

I was going to change to a 2-1 exhaust and Wimmer intake right up until the moment I bought the SE Dyna. Now I gotta start on that one. New pipes and SERT are a must.

And Mikeeeeeeeeee to answer your original question I refer to my motto:[align=center]"More Than Necessary, But Never Enough"
[/align]
Awesome!! I can't wait to ride her!!

I went with Headquarters gear drive cams (HQ-0039G), and had them do the head work. I know a lot of people that have used them and their cams and they rave about the performance! Also, they're not far from here, so it's nice to be able to support an almost local outfit.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-01-2007, 04:16 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Clammy

Awesome!! I can't wait to ride her!!

I went with Headquarters gear drive cams (HQ-0039G), and had them do the head work. I know a lot of people that have used them and their cams and they rave about the performance! Also, they're not far from here, so it's nice to be able to support an almost local outfit.

Cheers!
I've heard good things about Headquarters products and Iagree with youabout dealing with local businesses. The dealership I frequent - Harley-Davidson of Frederick (Maryland) - has their own race shop, hence the HDFR (Harley-Davidson of Frederick Racing) heads. The tech that put my motor together (and dyno'd it) works mostly in the race shop and really knows his stuff. I'm gonna have him do the work on the Dyna also.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mikeeeee, some bikes are high performance and some are not. My last bike was a Valkyrie Interstate. It was a 6 cyl 1520 cc motor with 6 carbs. Lots of power, about 100 horses. When I rode a harley the first time, it was a hopped up Wideglyde, 95 inch motor. It really wasn't that fast, but it made me feel like it was. When I got the opportunity to buy my deluxe, the previous owner had already dumped 5 grand in the motor. He had to get out of it due to back surgery. It was a no brainer. I got all the power I can handle, which is a good thing when you are dodging semi trucks on a 2 lane interstate. Power is addictive, worse than drugs.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a Freudian issue w=>

Regards.

Mimo.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the day 74c.i.d.(1200cc) was the "big twin". Back in the day women didn't shave their pussies either.

The world is a better place today.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VERY WELL SAID SIR!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mikeee, I ask the very same question about my First 125cc Harley!!!

back in 73 ,, lol

Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Clammy

ORIGINAL: ButtMan1000

I still displace 88 C.I., but she does not run like she used to!!!

I added the following initially:

SE Stage 1 AC
SuperTrapp SuperMegs 2:1
Dynojetted stock CV

Ran like that for 3 years, then all the talk of cam chain tensioners failing at all mileages. When my 2003 FXD had 20,000 miles on her I had the entire chain system pulled and had the S&S cam gear drive and TW37G cams installed.

I most likely would not have done the cam drive and cam install if not for all the bad press. BUT, after installing the cams, I now have a rocket that is way quicker than the old setup. I always hated the fact that the factory cams would run out of steam way before rev limiter. Now, I haul azz all the way up till the limiter kicks in, and she does that quickly!

I love this new found power in the 88!!!

Whee!!!
Same sort of thing for me, except I had the heads done too (ported/polished, 3 angle valve job, new larger valves, guides, springs, seals). I haven't had the chance to ride her yet (stinkin' winter weather! [:'(]), but I expect her to just FLY in the spring!!!

I was told to expect my 88"er to put out about 90hp and over 90ft-lbs! That's around a 50% increase in power over what she was putting out when I put her in storage.

Cheers!
Clammy,

Here is the dyno sheet from last fall.

Note that this was only a raw run, no tuning. After seeing the Air/Fuel ratio, I put in one step higher slow and main jet. The girl now runs like a raeeeped ape!! I gotta have a couple more horses, for sure.

Winter hit so no time for another dyno run. This spring for sure, mainly to see if the A/F ratio is better.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20717/399B019BF676483BBD6C262B1081FF9C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20717/E46744BE11424664BB2B080EAEB45E38.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 810 Posts

ORIGINAL: ButtMan1000
Clammy,

Here is the dyno sheet from last fall.

Note that this was only a raw run, no tuning. After seeing the Air/Fuel ratio, I put in one step higher slow and main jet. The girl now runs like a raeeeped ape!! I gotta have a couple more horses, for sure.

Winter hit so no time for another dyno run. This spring for sure, mainly to see if the A/F ratio is better.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20717/399B019BF676483BBD6C262B1081FF9C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20717/E46744BE11424664BB2B080EAEB45E38.jpg[/IMG]
COOL!!!

I had my Train dynoed last summer, before I installed the V&H Straight Shots, with the carb rejetted, SE2 mufflers and K&N high-flow air filter. She was putting out 62hp and 70 ft-lbs. She ran hard at those numbers, so I expect to be blown away this spring!!!!!!!

COME ON SPRING!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: What in the world is wrong with